Old 04-22-2013   #71
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
It is THE whitewater shop in Portland. They are supposedly modernizing their web site

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #72
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by chefpels View Post
what is andy and bax
Just spoke to Clyde at NRS...which was a pleasure. very classy guy.
The kit is part of the Breakdown Frame at NRSweb, and essentially inserts a solid aluminum plug, drilled for thru bolts on both ends, to join two sections of nrs pipe. there are some potential issues going this route, as Clyde explained at length. apparently the inside diameter of tubes are not consistently 1 3/8", so the plugs don't always fit, which is a problem and is why they no longer 'sell' the kit. one of those things you have to ask for. also, the same problem exists if u r wanting to use leftover low pro fittings in that they may not fit perfectly into the tubes or arms, what have you. he did mention that i could just order longer (custom) arms (for a stern fishing mount) for $125 bucks, which includes 2 lo pro's.
on a side note, i tried to expand (done by a professional) the inside diameter of some nrs pipe and it ripped almost immediately (i was thinking i could expand one end of the extension and fit it over existing pipe), so can't go that route. Clyde said they would absolutely fabricate what i needed, but hinted that they wouldn't be responsible if the plug or low pro's wouldn't fit into my existing pipe.

chefpels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #73
Breckenridge, Colorado
Question for you guys that used the Bar Table Epoxy method to seal up you plywood decking. What ratio of Lacquer thinner to epoxy did you use. I'm in the process of finishing mine now. How thin did you make you solution?
Summit rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #74
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Probably not more than 10%. Try 5% to start. A little bit goes a long way.

Also try pre-warming it in a water bath or microwave. Again, a little heat goes a long way--in the other direction. If you heat it too much, you get a smoking pot of goo.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #75
Breckenridge, Colorado
cool thanks.
Summit rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #76
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
From my limited experience (and a google search), mix it until its the thickness you want - the lacquer just thins the epoxy and once the mix is on the wood the lacquer vaporizes off quickly allowing the epoxy chemical reaction to happen.

I did a thin coat (~10-15%) and used a cheap brush to apply. I cut the brush bristles down to 1.5" to make it stiff enough to force the epoxy into the nooks of the plywood. It worked great and I only did the one, thin coat - another coat would make it bomb-proof.
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #77
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If you pre-warm the wood, it will suck epoxy into its pores as it cools.

If you start with cool wood, then warm it, you'll end up with tiny bubbles in the wood as it warms under the epoxy and "off gasses".

The only thing I don't like about using VOC's to thin epoxy (other than killing brain cells) is that you don't lay down as much "solids" as you would with unthinned epoxy...and it's the solids in epoxy that you want the benefit of. Obviously, if you end up with a thick solid on the outside of the wood, you don't get as much of a bond and it can flake wood saturation/encapsulation is the goal.

I can't over-emphasize the value of warming the epoxy both so it's thinner (and less lacquer thinner to evaporate off) and so it promotes faster curing. I also can't over-emphasize that if you get it any warmer than lukewarm it will turn into smoking goo!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #78
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Finished my side rails!

Ready for the Rogue next week. Used 3/4 inch plywood NRS U bolts and 5/16 connector nuts. Couldn't find any in stainless so I covered with silicon, we'll see how it does.

For the rails I used a gray colored Rustoleum Restore 4x. It automatically provides texture but i'm a little nervous about how well its going to hold up. We'll see how it does. I considered the plastic stuff but a buddy has it on his boat and its super slippery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	10477   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	10478  

OregonWhitewater is offline   Reply With Quote