Old 09-18-2011   #1
Groveland, California
Learn in a Remix, Karnali or Mamba?

After rafting for a few years now, I have decided to give kayaking a go as well. (Mostly because my daughter is very interested and I just bought her a Fluid Vaya for her b-day.) Anyhow I have been searching for an inexpensive boat locally to start with and take some lessons in, this is what I have come up with:

Remix 79, in new condition.
2011 Dagger Mamba 8.5 Creeker new (discontinued/discounted.)
2011 Pyranha Karnali Large new (discontinued?/discounted.)

All boats are in the same price range, with the Remix being a little cheaper.

I am 6' and weigh 230 with my gear on, am approaching 40 and do not have any grand ideas of running difficult water (have a cat for that), I am just looking for a forgiving boat to learn in and be able to progress with my daughter if she should continue to enjoy the sport.

Thanks for wading through another "what boat" thread, I appreciate any looking to purchase this week.

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
they are all great boats capable of doing it all.

I think the remix would be easyest to paddle and most comfortable.

seeing as it has the least volume and for your size will be the easyest to roll, control.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
going to agree with bob not cause i personally love the remix but i put my neighbor in it whos is just learning its his first year and has a roll, he paddled it last weekend on some easy III and flatwater and he said he liked it alot. some of the stuff he said was. Easy to roll, holds a really nice line, easy to handle, and above all else he said it was comfortable. he couldnt believe he was actually kayaking. hes been using a kingpin icon before that but i dont think ill beable to convince him to let me use my remix when we go later today.. they are that good dude..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #4
seattle, Washington
I have the Mamba 8.0 creek model and I do not recommend as an especially "beginner friendly" boat. The river play model yes, but not the creek model. It has a much deeper and lower seat that is almost impossible to adjust and having had both models, the creek version is harder to roll than the river play version. And it is heavy. It does however hold its resale value better. Speaking of which the "discontinued" status refers to the fact that the Mamba just had a redesign so they have cghanged the numbering. The Mamba will still be around, but in a new model numbers.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd say go for the remix (tho I have a Mamba). I have been in the remix plenty and it is a great noobie boat that will be good for lots more.
mokelumnekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I wrecked a Mamba 8.5 this year. My replacement boat, a Prijon Herculese, is faster and performs much better. The Mamba is sluggish, slow to respond, and heavy on your shoulder. Dagger just redesigned it though, so if you buy a new Mamba you might have a better boat than what I had. Have you looked at used Prijons? The Pure XL is sweet.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
My big boat is a Remix and the wife paddles a Mamba. The Remix is an easy beginner boat for all the reasons mentioned and will serve you well for many years. I have also put several students this year into the Mamba and they love it. It's an easy boat to roll and with a IR Klingon skirt you won't get wet in the Dagger tradition except when you load the boat on your roof. Whoever thought that was a good place for a drain plug never tried to get all the water out. The Mamba plastic feels a bit chessy too. It flexes underneath you and I didn't like that about them. Probably not a concern if you find the Mamba Creeker with the Nomad outfitting...but then why not just buy a Remix? Some think the Remix is just too long (big), but when you paddle it it doesn't feel so at all. Great boat with super outfitting.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #7
Boise, Idaho

Then get yourself a playboat and you're pretty much set for a while.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #8
Groveland, California
The Remix it is! I just called and comitted to buying it, will pick it up later this week.

Old 09-19-2011   #9
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
smart choice bro you wont be dissappointed. the outfitting is super easy to figure out. one thing make sure to tighten the new strap system thing behind the backband that holds the outfitting material to back of back band otherwise the backband can slip up out of the brackets on the sides of the hips. just tighten the straps and shes good to go! super comfy man.. you going with the 79 or 69?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #10
Groveland, California
Red Remix 79, picking it up Friday afternoon! Thanks for the tip on the outfitting, I'll be sure to check that out.

Any recomendations for a good beginners paddle?