kokopelli nirvana XL self bailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2016   #1

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
kokopelli nirvana XL self bailer

Anyone have any experience paddling the Kokopelli nirvana self bailer in class III to IV+, how well does it bail?
Nirvana XL Self-Bailer — Kokopelli Packraft
Thanks for any feedback

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sure seems like a stout little pack raft. A bit more weight, lots of carrying capacity though, and self bailing! Ya, who's paddled one? Could be a great option!
Old 02-20-2016   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Id get it with the spray deck I bet that thing is a blast lol
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper42 View Post
Id get it with the spray deck I bet that thing is a blast lol
what would be the purpose of a spray deck on a self bailer? Just prevention of water entering from the top? it's still going to come in the bailing ports... I know a guy who tried one out last year on the grand canyon, he didn't have anything negative to say about the boat. He really liked the Ti-Zip storage.
Old 02-20-2016   #5

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Haven't paddled one. Have paddled with others in them.

This may not matter to you, depending on intended outfitting and use, but the zipper only allows you to put stuff into the front half of the boat. No way to balance the load front to back.

For day trips or quick overnights, likely no biggie. For weeklong, or longer, total deal-breaker.
Old 02-20-2016   #6

Up North, Oregon
I might point out the Nirvana XL self bailing boat I posted a link to is a new boat/shape the for 2016 so I don't think your friends paddled them in previous years.

Also the zipper is in the back not the front.

I am interested in the self bailing model with inflatable floor cause it would be way easier to self rescue and get back in to paddle again without getting over to the bank to get rid of water from the inside of the decked model.
Old 02-20-2016   #7

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
I might point out the Nirvana XL self bailing boat I posted a link to is a new boat/shape the for 2016 so I don't think your friends paddled them in previous years.

Also the zipper is in the back not the front.

I am interested in the self bailing model with inflatable floor cause it would be way easier to self rescue and get back in to paddle again without getting over to the bank to get rid of water from the inside of the decked model.
You're probably right that they weren't in 2016 boats. Certain they were self bailers tho.

Didn't know they had moved the zipper aft, but my point about not being able to balance the load stands.
Old 02-20-2016   #8

Up North, Oregon
Hey Mike,
Do you have the same problem in the prototype alpacalypse you had on the chetco with the zipper hatch?
I am looking for a packraft of which the Chetco would be one of the places I would like to return again using such instead of horse packing in our boats as we did before. I see you referenced my writeup from our upper chetco trip on our blog. Nice! I bet you could put another zipper in the front too so you could have access to the entire boat. I see on some images of kokopelii boats through a google search that on some there is a zipper both fore an aft, probably a custom thing I will check into. I am curious about the Kokopellii boats cause I saw one of the new Nirvana's with the deck at the local kayak shop last week and it looked pretty nice and reasonably priced. I been waiting on the new aire expedition sized bakraft but can't seem to get any word from aire about when it might come out and I can't wait for an unknown length of time.

another thing about packing, the new Nirvana XL is considerably longer so could accommodate a nice sized dry bag for multiday, which is what I want one for, trips where significant hike in is necessary.
Old 02-21-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That boat looks really sweet! It combines the better attributes of traditional IK's and packrafts,basically a super lightweight short sporty ducky with some other cool features(t-zip)! It should bail quickly,it claims 425 lb capacity(vs 350 on an old Lynx) and the floor being 5" thick must be super bouyant because the boat is shorter but about the same width and tube diameter,yet it has a higher weight capacity.What is a normal IK floor ,about 3 -4 inches?I wonder if it makes you sit up too high?From their literature it sounds like sitting too deep in a packraft was something they wanted to improve upon.

I assume it is not only lighter but much more compact.How big are they rolled up in comparison to a normal 1 man IK?They are not only easier to carry in ,but to lug around on vacation on planes,trains,chicken buses ,and taxis.Only one airline I know of (Southwest) will allow you to bring a bag big and heavy enough for a regular IK w/minimal gear without extra baggage fees.They have recently expanded service in Latin America to Costa Rica ,Mexico,DominicanRep.,and Belize,among others,all places where you could carry in to some awesome runs.

If the zipper was in the front ,couldn't you balance the boat with a drybag behind the seat since the xl is longer ?Your legs add weight in the front.and you dont want a lot of weight up front.Also each tzip is125 bucks,could add 1 and keep it under a grand.If the boat is durable and performs reasonably well that is a great deal.

It says it has thighstrap attachments.What about a footbrace?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016   #10

Up North, Oregon
In my IK I put a small dry bag up front for the foot brace, and would anticipate doing the same with the packraft depending on how much space there was I would size the bag accordingly. I bet the floor isn't really 5 inches thick. There is a balance between no inflatable floor and sitting up too high. Based on my research, it appears one drawback of no inflatable floor is smacking your ass and heels on rocks at low water.