kokopelli nirvana XL self bailer - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2016   #11
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
I might point out the Nirvana XL self bailing boat I posted a link to is a new boat/shape the for 2016 so I don't think your friends paddled them in previous years.
I understand it was a prototype last winter...
here's the video of his trip down the grand with it.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2016   #12
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Old 02-21-2016   #13

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
already seen that, not the same boat, the XL is longer and I am interested in the self bailing model, not the decked model.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016   #14

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Hey Mike,
Do you have the same problem in the prototype alpacalypse you had on the chetco with the zipper hatch?
No, the Alpacka boats are single chamber, so you can put your load anywhere/everywhere it needs to be to balance it out.

I've run the Grand Canyon 3 times in the last 3 years in an Alpackalypse. So nice to be able to trim the boat by shuffling gear around as your larder depletes.

Ran Westwater in the same boat today, felt completely out of sorts because it had *no* gear in it, and last time I paddled it it had ~40+ pounds of stability down at the waterline/inside the tubes.
Old 02-22-2016   #15
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
So correct me if I'm wrong( Been kinda brain dead all day, even for me) but if the new Kokopelli has 2 chambers, and it's self bailing, then one of the chambers should be the floor, and there for where the zipper is, should no longer really mater. Just occurred to me.
Old 02-22-2016   #16

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
There are 2 chambers for the boat tubes. The floor actually makes 3 air chambers total for the self bailing model. I think one chamber is the front 1/2 and the other chamber is the back 1/2 of the boat. If so, I would think you would think if you only had 1 zipper installed it should be in the front, so you could put gear inside in the front and strap a bag behind the seat.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016   #17
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Ya, that's what I would think to, smaller the boat, usually harder to keep it from being ass heavy, so zipper up front would make more sense.
Old 05-01-2016   #18

Salt Lake City, Utah
Anyone try one of these? I thought the first batch of SB XLs shipped out this month.
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #19

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Smacking your tailbone is indeed a big concern in a packraft, which is why they tend to have small inflatable seats, at least the Alpaca and Kokopelli boats. I've stuffed a thermarest under my butt to be on the safe side (and put the thermarest somewhere). Heel hits don't seem to be a problem.
I have paddled an Alpacka with a heavy pack lashed across the bow which I thought would balance my weight well and then the same boat with the Tzip and each side filled with the same load (about 40 lb) - I was worried that the boat would be stern-heavy but it felt great, very stable.
It's my understanding that either boat with the Tzip and 2 inflatable stow bags qualify as 3 chamber boats and meet the logic-free Dinosaur regs. Curious to hear if anyone can confirm or deny that.
Personal preference, for sure, but, while I love SB rafts and duckies, I really like the idea of a non-SB packraft with a good whitewater spray deck, mainly to sit a little lower, maximize space in the boat, and reduce backpack weight
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #20

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
I haven't read the entire discussion so accept my apologize if I say something that was said.

I paddled a Nirvana SB recently and:

1. Yes, the tubes have 2 chambers: front and back. Zipper is very useful for storage. Problem is that it is in the back, so if you load it for a longer trip, the load is where the paddler is, so not really good balance. I would put heavy stuff (food, tools, repair kit, etc) on the bow and light (clothes) things inside. Also inside storage has no clipping points, so in harder water, your things might move around. In my case they all got on one side, making the boat lean on that side.

2. The inflatable bottom does not attach to the boat. It just stays there under pressure. I fell in one hole and watched how the inflatable bottom comes out of the boat while it was spinning. Luckily it was a small creek and I caught it. So heads up for that.

3. Another negative aspect is that the bailing holes are in front and in the back. But the paddler sits closer to the middle, where there are no holes. This means that water will always pool in the middle of the boat. Not a lot, 2 inches or so, but still. Of course if there is more then that, it will bail. Alpacka for example has the holes on the sides in the middle. I paddled a SB Alpacka too and you don't sit in water in that one.

4. You sit on an inflatable seat that is on top of the inflatable floor. This means you sit higher, which means you are a bit more unstable. But have more power in the stroke. So a good paddler would probably like this, while a beginner wouldn't.

5. I like a lot how stiff is the boat compared to a non SB Nirvana (same size - I paddled both). This is because the inflatable bottom makes it stiffer. Significantly more stiff! Also, because the inflatable bottom keeps the tubes apart, it has slightly more space for the hips then a non SB where the tubes come together a bit when the paddler sits down.

6. The thigh straps attaching points are inside the boat, which means you don't have that much power to roll it, a lot of the power transforms into squeezing the tubes together. Attachment points on top of the tubes would be much better. Also the thigh straps come loose easily, they are quite cheap. So room for improvement here too.

Even if it has these quirks, it is still a fun boat to paddle, for sure! I think for the price you pay it is a good boat. Kokopelli is working on improving their boats fast, but it's hard to keep up with Alpacka's huge experience.

Cheers,
Adrian
ekkemu is offline   Reply With Quote