Old 02-03-2011   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Loving the Kokatat for keeping ME dry. It does however let entirely too much water into my boat.

They NEED to figure that out and fix it!

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #22
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Not knocking IR by any means....haven't used any of their items......

But I'll be puting the 14th season on my Kokatat drytop this year...i've taken care of it....but I haven't used it lightly.....its been to hell and back. I've had to replace the gaskets a few times, but the jacket material is bomber and still keeping me as dry as my first season with it.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Kokatat Goretex. Accept no substitutes. IR's customer service is great, but you'll end up needing it. You'll see lots of folks who love their 1-2 year old IR suit. You'll see even more who love their 10 year old Kokatat suit...
tcookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #24
Hood River, Oregon
Dude, thats probably because IR has only been making Drysuits for about 4 years, and the last 2 years of the 4, they have upgraded their material. No doubt Kokatat makes great suits, I used them myself for about 6 years- but I still needed to send them back once a year to get serviced to keep them dry! My Double D has about 100 days on it, and still really dry. We aren't necessarily light on gear out here in the NW either- Both companies have great customer service, so really, you won't go wrong with either one.
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #25
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Kokatat drysuits are incredible...simply put. If you could tour their facility in Arcata, California you would understand why. They've devised a unique way of pressurizing and testing each drysuit prior to sale. Their dryline is still manufactured in Arcata (imagine that...US made) so quality control is top notch. Gore-tex...need I say more. Their other beathable material is bomber too. As for customer service, they're the benchmark for the industry. I've seen 7 year old drytops get new seam tape and shipped back all for free. They ARE the brand.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #26
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I have had my Kokatat Gore tex drysuit since 1998. I used to row commercially and had 30 days a year in it back in the day. Since then I use it for winter Moab daily's in my kayak and winter grand trips. I am about to put on my 4th or 5th neck gasket, third wrists and last year put on my 2nd ankle gaskets. Have never had to send it back for anything.
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #27

If I could afford one i'd buy the kokatat, i've paddled 10 seasons in my drytop, its been thru 6 gaskets, i just sent it back for "pressure/leak test" as well as pulling off the old gaskets and taping in new ones came back last season and was bone dry, w/ around 15 patches (it is 10yrs old/ with probably 600-700 days of paddling) they even put new velcro on the wrists and charge, total cost around $110, i'd like to see any company provide a comparable service, much less still be in business 10 yrs from now Kokatat has great customer service, and i'd rather give my money to a US company/paddlers
There is a reason why they make the best drytops/suits
Dont know anything about IR, but if i was droppin a grand, i'd be comfortable to know that Kokatat will be there in the future....
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #28
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I too have been pondering all this, since it was so dry down here, already thinking boating in Jan... of course February fixes that nearly every year, but still want to be prepared!

I ordered an NRS inversion Drysuit, It seems very nice, Bomber material, for non gore-tex. Have used their dry top for a while with good results.sealed zippers are very stiff. but... its too tall for my height, so I will have to send it off to get altered by RainyPass in WA...for $200-300...:/ I am considering skipping that and having a a suit custom made by Kokatat. i will have to call for an estimate.
NRS has top notch Customer service, and I am decked out almost head to toe in their gear, (pro deal through the summertime job rafting.They do hook it up for outfitter pricing. Its really hard to beat. very kind of them.) but if I spend all the $$ to alter something, maybe I should get it Customed and waste less... that is If its not like 2g's
IR stuff looks sweet too tho.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #29
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Ive had the IR drysuit for about 4 yrs now and love it. Granted I mostly just raft these days so dont use it a ton but it still seems new. The shoulder zip always takes a helper for me but not a big deal in my opinion. I had the booties switched to ankle gaskets and the customer service was great. I hated having to turn suit inside out just to dry the feet when the rest of the suit is completely dry. I think most people love booties though. All in all a great suit. Ive also had a Kokatat drytop forever and their products are also sweet so you really cant go wrong with either choice.
FranBoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #30
A drysuit is a financial investment in safety and comfort. I cant speak highly enough of the Kokatat GMER. Spend the money and get the best - it will save you money on the long run (because of suit's longevity) and you'll get what you want - a drysuit that stays dry. Many of the responses here say it....

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote