Old 04-29-2010   #1
Kokatat or Sweet Drytop

Okay well I had a few questions I noticed on my last post everyone is all about kokatat but has anyone tried the sweet which one because their both gore tex and both seem really well made... Opinion/Recommendations?

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Go try them on. I had a Kokatat in the past and I had planned on getting another one since I have the cash now. Well I tried them on and the Kokatat was just sized wrong for me. The medium was too tight and the large too big. Which is weird as I am vertically challenged! I am not trying to talk you out of the Kok, but before you decide you have to see how it fits you.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #3
My Sweet just showed up from CKS today, and IMHO its really nice and you can tell there has been a lot of though put into it. All seems are taped, the pockets all have these little drain meshes, and the material and elastic seems beefy. Before this most recently I've had a IR X jacket and PeakUK Creek jacket, each for about two years of 75-100 days/year and before that a Kokatat. Fit is always going to be individual and obviously I can't yet comment about its river performance, but workmanship and materials are really at a minimum, equal to or better than other high end dry tops out there. Hopefully it lasts, guess that's always the true test.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #4
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Kokatat is tried and tested, completely dry and made in the USA. I just sent my Drysuit in and they are repairing a tear, pressure testing it and repairing and other pin hole leaks... all for $20. In my experience Kokatat has been the only clothing company to make actually "dry" pieces of gear, and then on top of that, if you make it "un-dry" by putting a hole in it they will repair it for virtually nothing. If all you have is pin hole leaks they charge you 5 bucks make it completely dry again.. Every other drytop I've owned has become a "wet-top" within the first 50 days of use.
The Gore-Tex Sweet looks pretty tough and is Gore-Tex... but you have to pay extra cause their Euro and there isn't much beta out on it so IMO Kokatat is the safest choice - local and beefy, but the Sweet might be just as good.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #5
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
I bought a Kokatat drysuit a couple of years ago. Used it a bunch, always dry, gaskets still in great shape. They make good gear, really good gear.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote