Old 12-11-2009   #1
Seward, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1998
kokatat bibs

looking for a good source to buy a pair of kokatat whirlpool bibs... I'd prefer to get the Gore-Tex version with relief zip and booties but not sure about coughing up $550 for them, plus shipping. The tropos version, however, runs $200 but without a zip and booties. any opinions on this?

jockomontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #2
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Kokatat quoted me $100 to put a zipper in my Tropos. Would still save you $250.

I love my bibs, along with the tropos drytop they are virtually a dry suit.
The Tropos material allows the temp in more than Gore-Tex, so you have to think about layering. I have a union suit, and I'm toasty. I've been using them for two full seasons and don't have a problem yet.

You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #3
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
You gotta have one with the relief zip. Awesome bib but you will be incredibly frustrated if you have to undo your system just to take a leak.... I returned mine and just went for their dry suit. Dry feet make all the difference in the world when I'm cold.
Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #4
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1996
If you still live in Seward, AK as your profile says, I would talk to some one the guiding companies up there. I know that most the guides at Chugach Outdoor Center in Hope use the bids/drytop system and tend to buy new gear every few years even if the old stuff is still in pretty good shape.

Other than that, my thoughts are this...The tropos work fine, but don't last as long and Gore-tex. Relief zipper is key. I have guided to summers in Alaska with no booties in my bibs and have only every wished I had them a few times. A good pair of neoprene bootie/socks can work great.
raftkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #5
Seward, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1998
gear swap source?

thanks for the replies, everyone...

I've already talked to Jay at COC and no luck on the used bibs...
I'm gonna try to find a used Gore-tex pair of bibs first and then probably go for a new pair at retail last minute if I cant find something cheaper.

I think the booties and zip will be key for a 25 day trip down the Grand in January.
jockomontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The relief zipper is key. Dry socks and the relief zipper can be added to tropos pants by Kokatat, not sure about the cost. Call them and find out.

For $500 you can get a Kokatat Super Nova Semi Drysuit with socks and a relief zipper. The few people I've talked to with this suit have great things to say about it.

Muck boots/cement boots/rain boots/rubber over boots - are super nice for cold grand trips. After you are out of the drysuit they make trips to the boats way more pleasant. They were probably the most envied piece of gear on my grand trip. The over boot style is really convenient and warm if a bit cumbersome.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #7
Montague, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2002
Whirlpool bibs

I have a pair of the older style Kokatat Whirlpool Bibs (Large) that are made of the urethane backed heavy nylon material. I'm selling them for $100 (+shipping). The knees and butt are reinforced, and they are in like-new condition. Gaskets are perfect. You can't tell they've ever been worn. I didn't like bibs after I got them, and went to a drysuit. So they haven't seen much use. See photos.

If you're still looking, let me know. They'll be posted elsewhere.
Ph: (two three one) 893- six 9 zero 5 (Michigan) or rlstarr at charter dot net.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020173.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	2198   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020174.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	2199  

rlstarr is offline   Reply With Quote