Old 03-15-2013   #1
Up High, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

I sent my drysuit and dry top to Kokatat to have them tested and new gaskets put in. This cost me $250. I got a the stuff back with a good turn around time. Dry top gaskets look great 2 patches on the inside and the seams look good. The top is 7 years old and has about 200 days on it. My drysuit came back with new gaskets that look great and over 175 patches and several seam repairs. It also appears that the fabric is wearing thin on the chest as I can clearly see the red outer color through the inside of the suit. I requested and got a call from them while repairing the suit to say it had "several holes" and "seams and suit look good " as well as the quote for the repairs. The Gore Tex suit is 3 years old with 120 days on it WTF . Is this the top shelf customer service everyone else gets from Kokatat ? I think it sucks that the $1000 suit fell apart the way it did and that they neglected to inform me of the scope of the repairs on the suit when they called. Thought's ? I'm calling them today

billfrenchvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by billfrenchvail View Post
My drysuit came back with new gaskets that look great and over 175 patches and several seam repairs.
175 patches sounds pretty excessive. Unless you've been rolling around in a thorn bush with a porcupine I would give them a call and ask about it. Perhaps there is a defect with the material?....

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've never had a problem...ever...with Kokatat and their equipment has always stood the test of time. These technical pieces save lives and Kokatat has set the industry standard for a long time now in quality and customer service. I'd call them as they are more than willing to work with you.
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #4
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I bought my suit in '03 and sent it back in '11 for repairs and gaskets. Gaskets were great and it had 15-20 patches. I have to admit that most of the patches were areas I'd caused the pinholes--over half of them the feet. Secretly I wished for a new one. I was tired of mango.

It was damp that season and early last season, so I sent it back again last May. They said it was delaminating and offered me a new suit.

If its repairable, it is my understanding they'll fix it; if not repairable, they'll replace it.

175 sounds excessive, but if you've holed the suit, they can fix it.
Fabric showing through sounds unusual. When mine "delaminates", it never felt thinner, but when the membrane got saturated, it did show the outside color.

Call Kokatat. Be honest with them, but don't be the "squeaky wheel". They're good people and don't deserve an aggressive approach.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #5
Up High, Colorado

I'm going to call them and see what they say. I'll report back
Old 03-15-2013   #6
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have well over 300 1" patches on my suit from two years ago between two rounds of repair, but I'm pretty sure I know the story with each of them. I was shocked at the amount of effort they put in for $20. It is still dry and in use as a spare.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #7
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Just got my drysuit back from Kokatat, they replaced a neck gasket, pressure tested it and put in a couple of patches for about 70 bucks. Turn around time was about a week. Nothing but good service from Kokatat to date. And your whining about Kokatat after getting 175 holes in your drysuit? Maybe some personal responsibiltiy is what you need and a new drysuit.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #8
Rotorua, NZ
Sounding pretty whingy there BillFrench. I sent in my 3 year old drysuit at the end of last year and counted well over 75 patches on my right leg alone. And I know for a fact that hiking and portaging around through NZ bush is to blame. I didn't even count the rest. But they patched it and put new gaskets on the wrists and neck and it is dry as a bone. Cost me 100 bucks. Maintenance is part of gear bro, do you ride your bike hard for 3 years and not ever give it some grease and a twist of a bolt here and there and expect it not to fall apart?
Bottom line, Kokatat has done you a great service and stand by their product. Try that with another brand and see how happy you are after that mate.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #9
Lyons, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Another dry suit here with over a 100 small patches
New gaskets
They even added stitched in cordura on the elbows with seams sealed all for $100
Kokatat exceeds most other outdoor gear companies ( although nobody beats Patagonia)
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #10
Up High, Colorado
Problem handled I returned and exchanged it to REI today no questions asked. Glad to hear others had the same type of damage from normal wear and tear. thats the info I was looking for. Kokatat was fast and responsive. Thanks to REI I'll never be buying a new drysuit.