Old 06-01-2011   #31
loveland, Colorado
has anyone used one kind of like a free diver attached to the side of your calf. a knife with a double strap on the side of your calf is a very easy place to reach in dire need. you can find military type units that are very sleek. it might not look the coolest but would be usefull

willieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #32
norcal, California
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
has anyone used one kind of like a free diver attached to the side of your calf... it might not look the coolest
On the contrary. Two words: Sean, Connery.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #33
Idaho, Wyoming
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
I'm really not sold on having the knife (NRS Pilot) on the extireior of the vest. The bow line of the bat that flipped got entangled around the sheath of the knife(which was attatched to the front of the PFD) while I was in the water, pulling me along attatched to the boat.
I will carry an extra knife for here on in, I'm wondering if anyone else keeps a knife in a better spot

seems like unusual circumstanances. a knife or anything attatched to your pfd presents potential for entanglement somewhere. obviously it is best to be as smooth as possible if your goin out of the boat, but there is another way of looking at it. maybe that knife/sheath kept that rope from getting wrapped around your neck. point is, loose lines are always dangerous and knives are an important tool that need to be accessable but low profile.

for me, i have a wenoka squeeze lock dive knife (another blackie collins design). it is more secure and sharper than any gerber i've owned. it's compact, double sided with one side serrated with line cutter. i keep that upside down on my nrs high float vest and it is there for rescue use only. luckily it has never been used or tangled up with a rope. i keep a buck pilot folding knife in the zipped pocket of my vest and when boating will often clip it outside to the split ring that holds my whistle for back up use. this is the knife i use for anything but emergencies keeping the rescue knife as new. using your rescue knife for cream cheese or sandwich making doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but apparently marketing experts disagree. also i almost always have a second buck pilot in my pants pocket.

to me knives are like boats, fly rods and guns, you really can't have too many. hopefully you'll never need them all on the same day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	3696   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	941.3 KB
ID:	3697  

billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #34
Boise, Idaho
I had one of those wenokas mysteriously fly off my jacket somehow. I remember it being there and looked down after a small jump into the water and it was gone. I thought for sure the lash tab was compromised, but it was intact. The sheath was also lashed well with the screws tightened and must have snapped right off. Looks like you have plenty of backup though.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #35
Denver, Colorado
Please post photos of zip tie getup. If you were in a dire situation, do you just count on breaking the zip tie?

The River Gods accepted my Gerber Shorty sometime while I was aggressively grabbing and lifting and pushing and freeing my boat from a submerged rock on the MF Salmon at med-low water. The lost knife was on my vest, over my heart, point up. Now I've got an extra sheath.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #36
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have always worried about losing my chest mounted knife after my buddy lost his during a Lawson swim 3-4 yrs ago. Now I carry a second in my chest pocket (folder) and a 3rd in my spray pants thigh pocket (folder as well) when I wear them. I like the ideas for other attachments and will try a new mount. I do always back up with zip-ties as I come from the rescue school of redundancy. My first river knife was a Kershaw I bought at Sportsmans warehouse in Denver and came with a set-up for the thight/lower leg attachment. Maybe I will have to try that too.
I 2nd Billfish on the idea that you cant have too many. Still trying to figure a good cross draw for my .44 mag on my kayak vest.
I have watched too many people try to get their knife out in a non-emergent situation for the basics (lunch or camp chores) and have trouble drawing them. Just a good reminder that like everything we do in the river, you have to practice this a lot as well, because when you need it, chances are your mind will not be clear and you will be well into your fight-or-flight and it needs to be muscle memory and happen without much thought.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #37
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One thing to bear in mind with adding our backup knives, locking biners, pulleys, etc. on our PFDs is the additional weight, thus decreased floatation, that we incur when we start carrying the kitchen sink on our PFDs.

Also, there was a recent rescue knife discusson on the GCPBA list a week ago with about 50 posts from riverrunning veterans and newbies alike on how to attach knives, pros and cons of different brands, metal composition and ability to hold an edge, using rescue knives for lunch, an on-the-scene account of an entanglement drowning on Westwater a couple of years ago (stating a knife wouldn't have helped), and just about anything else under the sun. Its in the GCPBA archives if MB's library on the topic isn't enough for you.

An aside, the Wenoka dive knife was mentioned (unfavorably).

Be safe (and don't use your rescue knife for cutting up lunch),

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #38
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Andy and others are absoluetly correct. Your rescue knife should never be used for ANY application beyond rescue purposes. Seen too many people spreading cheese and cutting fruit with their rescue knives. Its sorta like thinking your trailer bearings will never fail even though you dunk them in the river every weekend without maintaining them. Use the proper equiptment in the proper manner with the proper care.

Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote