Old 03-13-2013   #1
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
knee straps vs. foot pegs

Looking for feedback from IKers running white water with knee straps, foot pegs, or both. Pros/cons?

No comments from the peanut gallery, hard shellers. It's not a f'ing ducky and I'm not a pussy.... just prefer swimming with my head above water is all. And, well, can't afford a hard shell right now.

vajayjay007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I would think you would be pleased with both. only con is extra expense.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #3
San Juan Islands, Washington
You need both, some people like a foam footblock instead of foot pegs. This is the one I made for my Lynx II from 3 " minicell when I use it as a solo boat.

My Sotar has foot pegs and it's just as comfortable but I'd go for the footblock if I had a choice only because it displaces a lot of water keeping the boat from filling up and getting heavy.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Both if possible. Foot pegs to push against & save your back, Thigh straps to lock you in better for bracing. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be the thigh straps.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #5
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah I really think IK's need to come standard with thigh straps. I do not use foot braces. I just pull my thigh straps as tight as I can. I could see the pegs really helping keep your butt in place.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #6
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Both FTW. I felt naked without both. I like high backrest seats like the cheetah chair too. I even had a cheetah chair in my Force XL. I wasn't trying to roll it, so it never got in my way.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #7
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
ditto on on the cheetah seat, it seams IK manufactures are moving away from that style seat which I don't understand. The cheetah gives you pretty good back support and wraps you in, the blow up air style(thwart) just gives you some comfort and steals space. Am I missing something with that style (thwart)?
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #8
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
Buy thigh straps for sure then go for the pegs or anything up front. I've got a foam block that works great or go with a dry bag with spare clothes/beers. Having a foot brace of some sort will make the boat much more comfortable for your back by improving your paddling posture.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I use thigh straps -- super easy to "install" (especially if your IK has strap loops along the sides of the floor like the AIRE IKs do) -- I suggest getting ones that adjust easily on the fly; also I find the curved ones to be more comfortable.
I just haven't bothered to install foot pegs, but I'm sure they feel great. The AIRE adjustable length foot pegs move along a piece that I bet is about a foot and a half to two feet long -- would probably interfere with tightly rolling your IK -- which may or may not matter -- I suppose you could fold and then roll it longitudinally.

The way you release quickly from thigh straps in a capsize is to just push your legs straight out. I have sometimes wondered about a potential entrapment issue if you were strapped in pretty tight and had nowhere to straighten your legs becasue of a foot brace, especially a full-width one (vs. just pegs) -- though I've never heard of anyone having such a problem!!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #10
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Use both. For super cheap, get a foam pool floaty stick, cut it to the inside width of your boat, then string a short length of rope through it. On Aire and Tributary IKs at least there are loops all along the joint between the side tubes and the floor, so you can loop the rope through them, then adjust the tension on the knot/rope to get the right distance from your seat. One $2 floaty and some random short hanks of rope I had lying around made 4 foot "pegs" for two tandem IKs.

I love the cheetah chairs too. I like the way you can tighten up some lumbar support, and they come out east to make a Crazy Creek style camp chair. I move a cheetah chair over to the raft and strap it in as a seat on top of my drybox to raise my butt up off the ethafoam and get some lateral and lumbar support there as well. I would presume they are transitioning into the inflatable thwart seat because they are lower cost to produce.

I love that foam footblock with the built in drink holder. It is brilliant what you can learn on the Buzz!

90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote