Old 03-14-2013   #11
San Juan Islands, Washington
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
Use both. For super cheap, get a foam pool floaty stick, cut it to the inside width of your boat, then string a short length of rope through it. On Aire and Tributary IKs at least there are loops all along the joint between the side tubes and the floor, so you can loop the rope through them, then adjust the tension on the knot/rope to get the right distance from your seat.
That sounds like it would be too easy to slip your foot under the foam and cause an entrapment issue, I originaly used clips and straps to connect my footrest to the loops on the Lynx but it didn't hold it down tight enough. Now I just use a strap to hold it in place, It's much more secure.
I don't think the Cheetah seat gives the same support as the Sotar bolster but it's not bad and I still use it.
I was never impressed with the Aire thigh straps, they always seem to loosen up at the worst time , I have a set from a company thats no longer around (Yakworks) that I really like and the Sotars have never given me any problems.

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Both !

Pros: You can control the boat a lot better.

Cons :You have less control and probably lousy posture.Some people fear entanglement in thigh straps or under block and rope /webbing type footbraces.Once I got my leg stuck through thee thigh strap and had a scary hard time getting free of the boat in rapids...freak accident 99.9% of the time you just fall out...

used foam block for years works well displaces water as someone Aire's them even better...does prevent rolling up as compact, but are not glued in can be removed for travel (pin through shell need special tool)

webbing flip strap recommended taut across width of boat if there is chance of a swim too...don 't see a lot of people using these for some reason.....

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
edit -you have less control and probably lousy posture WITHOUT them..

you fall out 99.9% when you straighten your legs...
Old 03-14-2013   #14
Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Both for sure....I also replaced the cheetah chair in my Lynx with the large thwart style one from Aire...I broke one of the fastex buckles on the cheetah and I feel the thwart one provides much better back support when pushing hard. I do use the cheetah for overnight trips when I need to store some gear as it takes up far less real estate
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #15
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
I think cataraftgirl summed it up best. For me, the main benefit of foot pegs or a foam block is that it stops you from slipping forward in the boat. If you are doing runs with vertical drops of three feet or more, they some in mighty handy. But even big hydraulics can stop your i.k. On the lower Kern one time I ended up in the "nap" position going through Sundown Falls at low flow. Nothing to brace against, so I slipped two feet toward the bow.
Regarding thigh strap entanglement, the brand we've sold since the late 80's have releases at both ends, so this is something to look for.
I actually prefer a carved foam block that fits tight enough to prevent your doggies from slipping underneath, because unlike foot braces a removable block does not mess up how compactly the boat rolls up. The problem with the foam block is that it sort of forces your legs to be in the same position all day. And that starts to make my knees hurt after a couple hours. At least with footpegs you can straighten your legs out from time to time.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #16
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would try to replicate the float bags (fore and aft) on the Aire Force. You could build them to hold air and deflate them when you want to stretch out. They also keep your boat from filling up - very valuable in big, long rapids where your IK might not have time to bail before a must-make move.

I think the simplest way would be to buy float bags for a canoe, or maybe even from Aire, and use PVC or Hyplalon to make a small grommeted tarp to hold them down. The ultimate would be to have bags built to size by IT or Raft Fix with attachment loops that you can use to tie them into your boat. I don't recommend bailing hole attachments - take some time to add tie-down loops or D-rings. The first place a duckie fails is often leaks at the bailing holes and extra wear won't help that. You could even have a dry zipper installed on the back bag and use it for storage.

I'm essentially describing a bigger Aire Force, made from a Hyside or Aire Outfitter type duckie. Of course you'll want thigh straps too. I prefer the cam strap style, durable straps sold by NRS and Aire. If you like to be able to roll your boat small and tight, don't choose foot pegs.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #17
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Oh, and it is a duckie and we're all pussies for not hard boating, but I think it's the most convenient and practical way to enjoy intermediate whitewater. It's also a great way to introduce friends to boating without having to go to the pool first. I would much rather have two duckies in the shed than a small raft these days...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #18
Denver, Colorado
Boat Person,

Yeah that 's what I /we meant by bad posture..and good point about vertical drops...yes the thigh strap (Aire's mid to late 90 's version) have quick release buckle at the hip /thigh, but it only works if you remember that (doh !) while you are getting trashed...your first instinct is to get your leg out...

Randaddy you can use a dry bag,full or empty but blown up, or foam block or whatever. combination to displace 's not like the Force does n 't bathtub or fill behind the seat a little bit...those tapered yellow kayak drybag /floatbags fit really well into the back of a Lynx or on the back deck of the Force...

the footpegs are removable tor travel...looked at mine the 'special tool ' is not so special just an Allen would be a pain to remove very often but the dimension effected by the tracks is only slightly wider than a normal rolled duck anyway, about 24 to 26 inches...
Old 03-18-2013   #19
Spokane, Washington
I have a Bandit with foot pegs and thigh straps. If you decide to go with foot pegs, install them closer than the recommended distance. I have had a problem with the foot peg being pushed out of the top loop if I really try and brace. I also prefer the non releasable thigh straps. I have had no problems with the non releasable strap, just straighten your legs if you flip. I also have a tandem Maverik and the second thwart works great as a foot rest. The thigh straps work whether running single or double. Have fun and safe boating
cxfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #20
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
So if one wanted to make/buy a foam block where would you get the block? I've never seen anything like that before. I like it.....

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote