Old 03-30-2012   #1
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Kid sprayskirts - IR vs. Snap Dragon

Through trial and error I have found the IR Shockwave Plus skirt to be a safer and better choice for kids vs. the Snap Dragon Trek Ez skirt.

Adjustable kick bar (webbing) that can be used as a big grab loop or as a knee kick bar
Bright colored grab loop covered with a semi-rigid plastic tubing

Harder for kids to put on the cockpit

Snap Dragon Trek Ez

Easy on/off
Better quality (IMHO)

Hard to find the basic grab loop
Hard to see the basic grab loop
No kick bar

Summary: I have 3 boys ages 6-12 and through trial and error I have found they all prefer the Shockwave skirt over the Snap Dragon skirt hands down. The easy to find grab loop and the additional safety of having a kick bar has them reaching for (and fighting over) the IR skirt each time we go out. My youngest and oldest have different skill levels currently yet both had a bad experience last summer with the Snap Dragon skirt. Since that time I have modified the grab loop to be easier to find and see by using semi-rigid sprinkler pipe with bright colored electrical tape to form a triangular shaped pull handle (idea borrowed from fellow paddler). Even then my boys all prefer the IR skirt because it has the added safety of the kick-bar. One attempt at using their knees to kick off the skirt in the pool was all it took to convince them and also restore the confidence of my 6 year old.

Suggestion: If you like Snap Dragon skirts, please contact or email them and ask them to add these two additional safety features, and ask your local shops to do the same. I have done just that but requests from one parent is not enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9285.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	4468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9283.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	4469  

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #2
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Check out Wildwasser in Boulder. They made a custom skirt for my daughter that fits her & her boat perfectly. They even put the tunnel a little forward to help on the Jackson boats making it easy for her to get the back on.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote