Old 07-08-2011   #11
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
a squeeze bulb type pump run from a five gallon jug ( in the back ) up to the cab and you wouldn't even have to stop just run a short chunk of drip line across your burlap bag and pump it every half hour or so and you are golden.
nice idea... I've thought about just using a short length of the vinyl tubing from my icewater radiators in the beds for the drip, too- water's already flowing through there, a few pin pricks aren't gonna make a huge diff in the overall flow. Evaporation loss won't be too bad, plus we'll be adding ice to the cooler periodically.

You think a burlap sack is the best for airflow vs. water retention/evaporation? I'm having trouble thinking of any other, maybe better materials. My swamp cooler at home has aspen shavings for pads, but that could get messy and hard to mount. Plastic furnace filters sound good, but paperboard frames and moisture don't mix.... any other suggestions? I know we rafters should know all about evaporative cooling, but I swear I need an engineering degree for all this...

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #12
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Might consider pulling your CO1 detector off the wall at home and putting it in the back of the truck. I've heard of people finding dead humans/dogs in the back of their truck after a road trip.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #13
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a 2000 Tacoma and keep my two labs back there often - they love it... But yes it'll get hot on that drive.

I've been meaning to get a remote thermometer set up so I can keep tabs on the temp back there... so there's one idea to help at least monitor the air temp.

Also, pull over when you can to get them wet with a swim or at least pour some water on them - mine don't like the latter when it happens but I know it cools them.

Someone touched on this - could you run a little ducting from one of the a/c vents under the seat to the back for the dogs and / or use that boot thing between the back and the front?

As for comfort in the back for the 3rd person... good luck - pillows - lots of pillows...
RockyMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #14
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
How about a generator and a Fridgidaire?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #15
Carbondale, Colorado
Put the dogs on the roof, fill the windshield wash reservoir with water and mist them as you go down the road. But, please be safe, dogs need eye protection too.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sunpentown SF-610 White Portable Evaporative Air Cooler Evaporative Ai

A little large, but should work fine off an inverter. I also was thinking maybe just a humidifier, using the same theory that it will cool the air as the water evaporates, but it might just end up being a swamp. But you could try that for probably $15 and they're much smaller.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I rode in the back of an "extended" cab from Maine to Colorado once... laid down all the seats and then found some massive pieces of egg-crate foam (paco pads?) to go over everything, then pillows... and one of those things you put in bed to read against the wall (a big pillow with little arms).

For the dogs... just don't drive in the heat of the day, keep them wet, and they'll be fine. I think a mini swamp cooler could be overkill.
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #18
Bozeman, Montana
I framed our a window fan that runs off of a marine deep cycle using an invertor. The battery has two set of terminals the second set is attached to a charger plugged into the bed outlet so its charges up while driving
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110709_201712.png
Views:	132
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	3824  
Justin.West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #19
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
@trickpony and others: "don't drive in the heat of the day" is tough advice to follow considering the heat of the day in Utah and Nevada in late July is between 9am and 6pm... but we'll be tryin' nonetheless.

@lhowemt: I looked at those things in our local HVAC store and it's a bit much of an investment for the amount of benefit it would give, but good suggestion regardless, Laura!

@Justin.West1: Why didn't you just plug the fan in directly to the bed outlet, which I don't have in my '99 Taco . We won't be leaving the dogs in the bed for any reason, really, so no need for a battery at this point.

@RockyMountainMan: good idea on the thermometer- if I can find a cheap one somewhere I'll be using it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, guys/gals. I'm daydreaming of the Rogue. Can't friggin' wait.

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote