Old 05-03-2010   #1
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
keeping boat in Van?

So here could be a dumb question, but I would love some thoughts

I usually keep my boat in my van, so that I can make the ninja move up to the river if the day looks good, but would it affect my boat? I have heard that you don't want to story your boat on flat concrete because that could lead to more oil canning. but what about in your van? could it cause some problems with the plastic? what are your thoughts?

sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
not sure about the boat, but I know it's a bad idea to keep your dry gear stored in the van. the back seat of hot vehicles generates ozone, and ozone breaks down your latex and waterproofing faster than anything....NRS - Gasket Repair Instructions

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #3
Professional Transient, See above.
Really? The back set of hot vehicles generates ozone? Do you know any more specifics on the topic or where I can read more about that? I'd love to learn more- hadn't heard that before.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #4
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
i'd be worried about the heat in general (glue doesn't like it i've been told).
that and drunk buddies & their dogs climbing all over it.

roof rack not an option?

EDIT-thought this was about a raft, not a hard boat. carry on, nothing to see here.....
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've stored a kayak inside my car at the open parking lot at work 2-3 days a week each spring/summer and never had any problems with the kayak. Several times a good sized dent(s) in the kayak have "popped" out when it got hot in the car. I also leave the windows down a crack when it's going to be really hot outside and/or if the car is parked in full size vs. part shade.
I've had a bad experience using a hot paddle that's been stored in the car all day in cold water without giving it time to cool down - but that's a topic for a different thread/day.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Think about all of the raft guides across the country that live in vans with all of their gear,you never hear them complain. I think actually using your equipment in a river will take much more life away than keeping it in your van. River gear is tuff, use it and be happy. Next year some new shiny thing will be on the market and you will want to buy it long before your existing boat is used up.

woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote