Old 10-08-2013   #1
layton, Utah
Ok so I'm new to ww kayaking. I've got a short sea kayak (old town egret 14.5') and a couple rec boats. However I've yet to try any meaningful whitewater runs. My skills are so far limited. I can roll my egret easily enough, and I've gone down some class I and II rivers. I decided I am going to try some more serious rivers to run, so I need a new boat.

5'10" 180lbs. Size 11 shoe.

At the top of my list of rivers I want to try is the escalante when it next is running. Assuming of course I am comfortable enough in whatever boat I get by then. Given that's a good 7+ days I'm going to need storage capacity. Leaning towards a crossover kayak. Specificly the ws ethos 10. Or perhaps a pyranha fusion. A creek boat is also a consideration. LL stomper 90 or something.

My question: given my goals of river running with multi day self support, perhaps in the 7-10 day range, what kayak would you suggest I consider? Is there anything suitable for multi day trips, that's worth learning on? I would prefer whatever I get to handle up to class IV but not totally suck on flat spots on the rivers as well. I like the badass outfitting in LL kayaks but I don't quite like the remix xp. Couldn't say why though. Anyways thanks in advance for any replies

Strid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #2
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Are you talking about the Escalante River in Southern Utah?

This is a pic of a takeout years ago when the lake was at the top.

They ran the river at 30 or so CFS in pack cats.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #3
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Look into Alpacka Packrafts if you are mostly interested in the multi day/expedition aspect:

Alpacka Raft LLC - The World's Finest Packrafts
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #4
layton, Utah
Yep that would be the place

Not to be confused with the escalante creek.

The escalante river is a goal of mine. Coming from a touring background, that's what appeals to me. however, I also want to dabble in whitewater and expand my experience some. So a hardshell kayak seems more likely to fit what I am looking for.

I've seen some trip reports of people who have used remix xp and pyranha fusions on the escalante river, so I know it works in a good water year. Though more people seem to use inflatables on it. Just trying to get a feel for if I really need a crossover or if a large volume creek boat would work. Assuming for experimenting with whitewater runs a creek boat would handle better, but it also seems that crossovers were practicly invented for the kind of runs I most want to do.
Old 10-08-2013   #5
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I caught it at the peak a few years ago. Unfortunately the peak was like 8 cfs on the gauge. We took 2 tomcat solo inflatables. So glad I wasn't in a hardshell. Constant in and out to scooch through shallows and a monster carry out through the sand.

There were a few canoes and a few packrafts in there. Not a single hardshell kayak though.

That being said I think an XP 9 or 10 would do the trick nicely if there was more water. at least 20cfs I would think.

My advice: unless you are ready to make a serious investment and develop and maintain a very specialized skill set just rent an IK in the spring.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #6
Santa Cruz, California
Paddling Since: 2010
I did this back in 2005 in Aire II IKs. If you want to be comfortable and eat something besides freeze dried, rent, borrow or buy an inflatable kayak- likely will get super hot in a hard shell and you can't carry anything in them.
wavehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The craft of choice for Escalante River is a ducky or packraft. If you were to go with a hardshell I would use something like the Wilderness Systems Tsunami Tsunami 175 PRO w/ Rudder - Wilderness Systems Kayaks.

An XP or Fusion or Ethos would be acceptable, but tight on space.

I wouldn't try a trip like Escalante with a Stomper, or any creek boat.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #8
layton, Utah
Hmm. So the general consensus is inflatables all the way.

The main reason I am leaning towards a hardshell is I don't want to pop a rented inflatable on those russian olives that I see in most pictures. I dislike renting things because I feel bad if accidents happen. I have no wish to purchase an inflatable though.

I'm suprised though at the sea kayak suggestion. I would have thought it would be too much of a pain to maneuver something that long. Perhaps my egret would work just fine then. 14.5" it's long enough I ignored it, assuming it wouldn't maneuver well enough in narrow places
Old 10-14-2013   #9
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I did the escalante way back in the early nineties in hard shell kayaks everthing stuffed in dry sacks for 4 days wow what a trip. Had to make multiple trips back and forth thru the "crack in the wall" to get all are gear out, but it was worth it. To do it again I would do it in an IK though maybe a 6 day trip more time to explore and hike. It is a way cool place. Hippity HO!
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #10
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
A proper inflatable kayak like an Aire/Trib should have no problems with Russian olives. We powered through, over, under and around without any problems. Bring a decent repair kit and go for it. At the end we rolled them up and hiked out. took 2 trips and that was with canyoneering gear too.

A Sevylor or similar would last perhaps 10 seconds.

I would be reluctant to take a sea kayak. but at certain flows I suppose you could make it work. if a weird ass raft/cat/Frankenstein thing can do it a sea kayak should be able to.

But I still submit 5 votes for IK. Nobody wants to ruin a rental kayak, but it is an acceptable risk.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote