Old 03-02-2014   #1
Bolivar, Missouri
Kayak selection

I am 6'4 and 210. I live in MO and I we only have class I/II rivers here that I have experience on. I make a 10 day trip every year to Salida/BV area with the family to raft, hike, bike, and climb. I am looking for a used kayak that I can use here in MO for floating but also take to CO to do some class 3 stretches on the Arkansas and maybe do some maneuvering at the Salida water park. I found a dagger RPM here local for $300 but the reviews I have read are not really good for a guy my size. Obviously my main use will be here in MO and then 3or 4 days a year in CO so I don't want to invest a fortune. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Jlbmlb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I sent you a PM. I can send you home with a L karma.

At 6'4 210, you might like the larger boats from LL, Pyr, wavesport etc...

I am a bigger guy at 6'3 300lbs, so I like the height of the thigh braces, width of the seat and ability to kick loose the foot brace of a Jackson.

I'd recomend the L karma, or superhero from jackson or

LL remix 79, or stomper 90

pyrhana has a nice Karnali and everest

you could find these boats for 3-500 used, not a bad option, and like you said the RPM 's too small, the max might be ok, but the 9.0 Dagger axiom will be a better fit with more volume along the same line.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014   #3
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
For what you want to do with it I would go and sit in every river running model (not a creeker) with a planing hull and see which one fits your height because 210 isn't a problem for the largest sizes. As good as the Karma is, the Zen is better for river running and surfing waves. There are so many choices you should take the time to sit in them before getting a creeker just because you fit.....some crossovers might be good too such as a Rogue 10 or Remix Xp10, etc.
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Can you roll a kayak? It's not intuitive and it's a steepp but rewarding learning curve. If you don't want to put the effort in an inflatable ducky will suit your needs quiye nicely. I can't speak to pricing but they are easy to use and comfortable for all sizes.

If you have or want to learn to roll nearly any river runner or creek boat will do. Opinions differ about starting in a playboat but you will have a hard time finding a used (affordable) boat that fits.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
1. Newer kayaks = more comfy, better ergonomics (esp at your height/weight), good prices
2. Do some online research of the new/newer kayaks
3. Demo as many kayaks as you can when you come to Colorado
4. Decide what kayak(s) you like the best
5. Keep an eye out for used ones, including older versions, similar versions (Liquid Logic FreeRide vs. Jackson 4Fun), etc.

a. Keep in mind what you'll use the kayak for. While a river runner/creek like kayak might make class III real easy, it may also mean class I/II runs are boring. A free running kayak may challenge you on class III, but it could be a blast on class I/II rivers.
b. Look at the River Runner & Free Runner kayaks on Colorado Kayak website. Lots of options, most of which can easily be found used for less than $500.
c. When you come out to Colorado stop by Colorado Kayak in Buena Vista - they always have several different types and brands of kayaks to demo. The shop isn't far from the river and in one day for the price of one rental you could easily try out five or six different kayaks if not more. In addition, when you run into people on/off the river don't hesitate to ask to sit in and/or paddle their kayak.
d. Get to know the kayak models, the # of generations, and the differences between the generations, etc. For me, the difference between the 1st and 3rd generation JK 4Fun is HUGE. Whereas the difference between 2nd and 3rd generation Pyrahna Burn may be more subtle and less important to you vs. a pro that paddles all the time.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #6
Ft Collins, Colorado
Why not just go to CKS and rent a boat for the Ark?

johng is offline   Reply With Quote