Old 03-26-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Kayak lock for your car

There is some previous discussion on the buzz about kayak locks but it seems old. I am looking for a 1 boat lock so I can leave it on my car overnight (in Denver)and not worry too much. Yakima's cable thing looks cheap. Kryptonite even says on their website cable locks are deterrents at best.

I am thinking of getting Masterlock Cuffs. My rack has the core locks so one cuff on the rack bar, one on the kayak security bar. I specifically think I will buy the lock here:

The Cuffs come with a $3500 "anti-theft guarantee." Because the law in New York states anti-theft warranties specifically have to be insurance, where other states allow a "Guarantee" (they want to hit your home owner's policy up first), buying the lock from a store in NY is enough to include you in the "Insurance" group (link above is a store in NY).

Anyone have any better (and serious) ideas other than bringing the boat inside? The 2 flaws I see are how strong the kayak's security bar is and the fact it isn't a bike. If the security bar on the boat is cut, the "Insurance" is invalid. If they question if it is a bike...things fall apart too.

I looked at a couple other options like Kryptonite's noose. I think if I dropped it on my roof while trying to lock the boat it would go right through my sun roof (they are 15lbs). I think the way I could get around the security bar being cut is to remove it and put a pipe around it so bolt cutters wouldn't fit around it.

OK...take it away

jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #2
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
LashLock from NRS:

I just got one of these. I like it for road trips, but I doubt it would hold up to a determined tweaker with power tools. I also got outfitter pricing through work, which made it a bit easier to try experimentally.
It actually cinches down , so it takes the place of one of the straps. Its seems great so far, but, I am also keeping it rural hopefully.

I also have a masterlock python cinching cable lock, and curly bike locks which I have used combinations of. the masterlock is beefy, except at 6' for $30.00 its too short except for one boat, if your anchor is in the right place.
I just found additional cable with a little groogling. might have to upgrade!
Master Lock Python - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
12' and 30' lengths:

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #3
Fanta Se', New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2007
I just fill the cockpit of my boat with rattle snakes... and supplement with the "Masterlock python" It seems to work pretty well during the day. I will never leave a boat on top of the car overnight, its just asking for it to get stolen in my opinion.

Try the rattle snake idea though, or rabid chihuahua.
Lt Col Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #4
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use a heavy duty bike lock. If they want it bad enough, they'll get it. Most likely the jackasses that steal boats don't carry bolt cutters around with them. They can take the bar off the boat with an allen wrench or screwdriver anyway. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on a locking mechanism because that's just more money you will lose when the jerks jack your boat. Best thing you can do is make sure the lock is visible. It's like the ADT signs. Scares the dirtbags away. could buy a big truck with a topper. :-}

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #5
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Those Denver freaks will steal the wheels off your car. I'd sleep in the kayak just to be safe
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote