Old 07-28-2005   #1
Kayak for 13 year old ?

I bought my firt kayak a month or so back now my girlfriends 13 year old wants one so we can learn togather. I will have to pick him something up used but do to my lack of knowledge I have no idea what boat (or size of boat for that matter) I should be looking for.
He is 5'4'' and 95 pounds I would like something he can use for couple of seasons before he outgrows it, literally.

Any info would help I'll even grade ya if that's what it takes.

GlassGuy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #2
go buy a kayak and go pyranha because u cannot go wrong buy the s6f and then go in the black canyon and see if u can survive

doublepump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #3
Running the hair/super hair/gnar
doublepump you sick fuck... hows my boy glassguy here supposed to survive the black without his roll.... to get your feet wet id recommend oh be joyful right outside of cb... its a joyful float
MONKEY#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #4
Look for a Dagger Showdown good fit for his size rolls fairly eazy and he can learn edge control in it too.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #5
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

I work with Jackson Kayak and just want to advise you about our boat the "Fun 1.5". Here is a link to it.

Jackson Kayak makes a complete line of kids boats from 50 pounds all the through to 250 pound kids... like me. This is quite possibly the easiest boat to learn to roll and the best thing about it, is that it's designed for exactly his size. Especially when starting out, it's really important to be sure he fits in his boat well. THat will allow him to get a solid hipsnap.

Looks like you live in Canon City. Probably CKS is your closest to Demo one or maybe Confluence if you make it up towards Denver.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #6
Dagger Dynamo

Dagger also makes a kids specific boat called the dynamo.

It's designed for paddlers between 65 & 135lbs. It is being discontinued as of this year but we do have a demo which goes on sale next week as well as a few retail boats. We are located in Golden but do have another store in C. Springs at Constitution and Acadamy. We would be happy to send it down there if you'd like to try it out.

As with any kayak purchase, I'd reccomend trying everything available to you before you purchase anything. The Jackson Fun 1.5 is a great boat as well and I'd encourage you to let the little one paddle them side by side for comparison.

Good Luck

Alpenglow Ski & Paddle
ALPENGLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #7
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Mark i could have sworn i heard mark lyle say that the dynamo was made for a midget who wanted to bomb down a river and never make a turn. Just what a little birdy told me.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #8
I got an EVO for my daughter

Bought my 12 year old daughter a used wave sport EVO for $325 and it works great and EZ to find used. I’m familiar with all the kids kayaking toys and know how for find them cheap so send me an e-mail at if I can help.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #9
the fort, Colorado

A lot of these guys are trying to sell u kayaks. I am only sixteen and a bought my kayak whene i was 14. I was a bout 5'5" and like 110 and i fit into a pyranha prozone, I haven't outgrown it yet. But when i was looking for kayaks the one that i found to fit smaller people was a perception amp, designed more for women it was great for smaller guys like me. Plus there were a lot on the market, and really cheap

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote