Old 04-26-2012   #1
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Karnali vs new Mambas

Am trying a Karnali later today in cl 2/3 water. Have sat in it in fast, flat water and liked its speed and stability.Am also planning on trying the new Mambas but not for a while and this will involve some driving.
Would appreciate some comparision bet. these 2 boats and if I like The Karnalis performance whether its worth waiting to demo the Mambas also.
Looking to compare the foll. traits:stability, holding ferry angles, rolling,staying in line in cl3/low4 stuff.Primary use will be rrcl 3/-4.
Thanks for any info wrt this.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #2
Hurricane, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2012
I don't have much experience as my first day in a kayak was Wednesday. But I demoed a mamba and it was very stable compared to the two other boats I demoed. After being in a varun and Loki the mamba felt to unresponsive for me. I know being my first boat that's good but I like adventure and a challenge but I went with the varun.

WVkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
WV, good choice on the Varun from those three. It's a great down-river boat that's still very playful.

As for the other two boats, true, both will do you fine. I haven't paddled either, but I've been on the water with many and have talked to their owners about them. From what I know, the Karnali is most often used as a dedicated creeker. Iv'e heard that the Mamba does really well in big water, but (at least the largest size) is difficult to roll.

I hope that little snippet helps! Have fun.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #4
Columbus, Indiana
Mamba should be a bit more responsive. I'd pick that if you're only going up to class 4.

But demo and find out what you like.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote