Old 03-30-2009   #1
Jefe vs Y

I wasnt really in the new boat market until i found a really good deal on a jefe. Right now I paddle a Y, the legend, and love it. I was just wondering if upgrading to a new creekboat would help me out or if I should just sty put with the Y. I know the outfitting will be better(considering my backband is rigged up with a camstrap and lossens every run) and i plan on demoing a friends when the water comes, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #2
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
The Y is a truly great boat. Expecially for technical "rivers" (i.e Bailey, UTB, Gore, etc). However, for more manky "creeking" a displacement hull will make a difference. The Jefe is a better creek boat. You should probably hang onto your Y too, though.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #3
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
You can never have too many boats. but I like the Y because it floats more like my playboat. Its a smooth transition from play to creek. I boated a jefe a couple times last year. It was nice but I wasn't thinking I needed one. Plus I really don't creek it up much.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I have a Y and a Jefe. The two boats are much different. The Y has edges like a playboat, the Jefe has no defined edges, but a bunch of rocker.

Definetely take some time to get used to the Jefe is you are coming from the Y. It will paddle much differently. Both a great boats.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #5
I boated a Y for 5 years before switching to a mystic and magnum. I really miss some aspects of the Y [Ridiculously easy to roll], but the newer creek boats are quite a bit more nimble on lower volume creeks, and ride up and over things better than the Y. They also resurface more predictably. All things said, I do not think I could go back.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #6
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I paddled a Y boat for a loooong time and thought it was the best boat ever made. I think for a period of time there it may actually have been. Those days however are pretty much long gone. I now feel like I have paddled the Jefe for a long time and know it as well as I once knew the Y. It is different and might take some getting used to but it will be worth it. The rocker and bow design alone will be a revolution coming from the Y. Keep the Y for nostalgia but give the Jefe a good go for sure.

Full disclosure - I am a LL affiliated paddler.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #7
It looks like there will be an awkward transition between the two, but the payoff is worth it. I have never paddled a displacement hull but will have to check it out, can't be that different. Thanks for all the info guys.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote