Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 07-10-2009   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Jefe VS. Habitat

I paddle a Diesel and generally like the wavesport outfitting and feel. I'm wanting to get a strict creeker and am up in the air between the Jefe and Habitat. Anyone with any input between these two boats? They both fit and feel comfortable and from what little I can tell, they are similar in response though the Jefe appears to have a much more pronounced rocker.

Old 07-10-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
JEFE!

Old 07-10-2009   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Your analysis sounds about right. I normally paddle the Jefe, but paddled the Habitat for a week. I really like both. Jefe has more of an autoboof, but Habitat stays on the surface nicely as well. I felt like the Habitat was a little more nimble, though I don't know what about the design made it feel so. The main thing I liked about the Habitat was it felt like it was easier to control and got pushed around less in bigger water. I'm actually surprised the Habitat isn't a more popular boat. If I were picking out a new boat today I'd call it a toss up.
Old 07-12-2009   #4

I think KSC pretty much nailed it. Habitat is faster Jefe boofs easier and is a bit more forgiving. I have a slight preference for the habitat.

The true question is - how does Wavesport treat warranty issues? I think LiquidLogic generally treats people fairly with warranty.

I'll know more about the WS warranty soon - broke my habitat yesterday after less than 40 days on the river (and most of my Eldo/SSV laps were in a mank boat so the Habitat saw less than the usual amount of CO rock.) I'll report back on my experience. If WS doesn't take care of me I'll be switching back to jefe.
Old 07-12-2009   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Try the grande

I paddled the Jefe for 3 yrs and switched to the big boy model. I only weigh 170 but like the big version much better. Faster and the stern is more stable.

I know a guy that broke 3 habitats and they all got replaced under warranty.
Old 07-13-2009   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So...from someone who doesn't boat the gnar. I have had the Habitat for 2 seasons now and it's been a good boat. I don't know how many days I've had on the water with it (not my only boat), so take the "two full seasons" with a grain of salt -- guessing maybe 20-30 days. I didn't like it at first, didn't feel as nimble as the boat I owned before it, but now I like it. Whether it's the boat or me, its been hitting the flight plan as pre-determined by the pilot. I've also been babying it: no sharp seal launches, no long drags to the put-in, no ridiculously low water runs (well, maybe two), and boofing the pillow off rocks rather than straight over the top. It's the only creeker I've bought brand new at retail and two years later I still have sticker shock, so that's why I'm such a boat-sally with it.

I guess the only other info I could add would be the timeless and true -- don't get in a hurry, just demo both on your favorite local run and see which you like most.
Old 07-13-2009   #7

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
habitat

Definitely go with the Habitat.

I've said it before, there are many good boats over the years. Most any are capable of providing enjoyable experiences. Frankly, though, I stand firm that the two best companies producing numerous superior boats these days are Wave Sport and Jackson. The Habitat and Diesel are most excellent. So are the Rocker and Hero series.

The Jefe is, no doubt, a good boat. From my experience the Habitat is great. Fast, stable, forgiving, manueverable, predictable, comfortable, and confidence inspiring. No buyers remorse or doubts that it wasn't the best choice.
Old 07-13-2009   #8

I haven't paddled either boat but the swim count from Double Trouble yesterday was:

Jefe: 1
Habitat: 0
Old 07-13-2009   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I haven't paddled either boat but the swim count from Double Trouble yesterday was:

Jefe: 1
Habitat: 0
Not sure when said stats were tallied, but rest assured, there were clean jefe runs.
Old 07-13-2009   #10

There were good runs in Jefes, Habitats, Nomads, a Remix, and a Prijon, but the only swim I saw was a Jefe. I was just trying to throw out a meaningless stat to the conversation. I don't think having good or bad runs at Double Trouble has much to do with the boat.