Old 08-05-2012   #31
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by Spanky
How does the villian S fit in to the mix? A guy might want to trade me for my Jefe. I am over the weight range by 30 lbs, but am short and stocky so it will fit just ride a little lower which I am use to (Does weight play a major role on this modle).
I paddle a large villain at 185 lbs and feel I would not want the S. I haven't paddled a stomper but I used to own a jefe. I feel the villain is a faster boat with a bit more edge that doesn't sacrifice one bit of boofabillity. Overall I feel it is a better built kayak even though i do not particularly care for the outfitting. It is a crosslink and i find the durability great. I have probably dragged it close to 30 miles, boofed everything in sight, dropped it through tallus, pitoned it, and swam out of it in boulder gardens and it just won't break.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #32
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
dinsdalw- Good point on the guide nuts or whatever they are. This was a serious flaw in the original outfitting, but it seems they have fixed it and if you buy from a good dealer (thanks 4CRS) they will make sure you don't walk out the shop with a boat that has this problem. As for durability, we all wish new boats would wear like the 2000 Wavesport Y, but they just don't make boats like that anymore, so I have resigned myself to LL's pretty fair warranty policy.

Dustin, the Stomper is a semi-planing hull compared to a Jefe, but not compared to other boats. The extra bit of edge makes the Stomper handle soooo much better than a Jefe. But you are correct that it is definitely not a planing hull boat.

Also one additional point to make on Stomper sizing. If you a a medium sized guy, get the 90. Most of the lukewarm Stomper reviews are from people who weigh 180 and paddle a Stomper 80. If you are +160, get the 90. It is faster and handles really well for a medium sized guy (I am 165 and paddle a 90 and love it).

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #33
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I've had the same issue with the screw on the seat mounts on my '09 jefe.

boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote