Old 06-12-2010   #1
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
jefe chico for 5'8" / 155?

i like the feel of a smaller boat for big water or creeks. just sold my med. burn, which felt too big, and still have a huck, which i am thinking of selling and getting a jefe chico to do it all. anyone have experience paddling the chico at the top of it's weight range?

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't have experience with the Jefe Chico, but I wish they had it available before I got rid of my regular Jefe. I am only 5'7" and about 140 and it was too big for me, felt like I was paddling a school bus, and it was difficult to roll when I needed it...I ended up getting a small Ammo, I am at the very upper end of the weight range, and I don't like to paddle it loaded down too heavy, but it's great for creeking and big water. Super responsive, but stays on top of the shit, plus it rolls super easy...I would say demo it and try it out before buying it, but from my experience and from what I have heard, I think you will be happy with a Jefe Chico.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: tues
YES. Its great. I have a J Chico, I'm 5'8" and 140, and I have paddled it with a lot of gear in the boat - 30 lbs - and it felt a little better actually. Love the boat. A lot of hardcore boaters are running remixes instead of Jefe's you might also consider that...
Afogel is offline   Reply With Quote