Old 08-26-2011   #1
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Paddling Since: 2011

So I'm kinda new to Whitewater Kayaking. (I have paddle a VI but with much help) I heard from my instructor many times that Jacksons are the best kayaks. Is this true? I did love the little hero and 2 fun, but are they really that good?

Chasbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #2
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado

My daughters and I started this summer, so we are beginners. We paddles many different boats, through RMOC instruction and renting from CKS. We always came back to the Jackson Heroes. Nothing came close to them for fit, comfort, and stability. From what I have seen on their web page, they are boats that we will progress in as our skill level improves. I have heard some negatives about their soft plastic, but hey, no one can beat thier warranty. CKS has a sale on Jackson's right now. I looked at used boats, but they were barely under new prices at CKS. Plus, with CKS's sale and 15% off in-store gear if you buy a new boat, why not and get the warranty. Just some comments from one beginner to another.

JayJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Jackson makes awesome boats (the best in my opinion), but what really sets them apart is their service. Everyone that represents the company is always friendly and eager to help. At a sale at CKS a couple years ago, my buddy bought a Jackson and had it outfitted by Eric Jackson on the spot. A couple other Jackson boaters were there as well helping out. While he was doing that, I was talking to the owner of another kayak company. Instead of promoting his own products, he was bashing everyone else's, telling me why their features were no good. Really bad vibe and a stark contrast to the energy the Jackson team puts out.

I've owned three Jackson's so far and can't really see myself buying any other brand.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
Seems to me that people either love Jackson kayaks or not.

I have three and am very satisfied with all three of them.

I have a Jackson Super Hero and agree that it is one good all around kayak for beginner or advanced (as last year, a bud of mine did some CA steep creeking and he said lot of the hot dog CA creek runners were in the Hero series).
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #6
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Thanks guys. I definitly think their the easiest to roll, and the 2 Funs and Stars are awesome.
Chasbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #8
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
They most certainly are not! There are many other good boat options out there. A lot of what makes the best boat for you is how it fits you. How the outfitting feels and fits your body. All the major boat manufactures make very similar designs, where these boat differ for new boaters is in the outfitting. Sit in a ton of boats, paddle a ton of boats and see what is right for. I have seen just as many things go wrong on Jackson boats as any other boat manufacture (other than that whole wave sport EZG thing three or four years ago).
"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #9
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
....what EZG Wavesport issue? Just curious!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #10
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
....what EZG Wavesport issue? Just curious!
I think it was all the cracking cockpits. Structural prollems. I had one that didnt crack, but it still wasn't a great boat for me. I am fully converted to JK... have a 4fun, and superHero, and they have made all the difference for me, as a progressing class III-IV boater. I have a huge debt of gratitude.LL boats are really nice too though, that stomper looks dope. Its all about what fits comfortably and rolls reliably, and that is an individual thing. got to demo em yourself.

but me?... I am wayyyy biased towards JK....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote