Old 08-28-2011   #11
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Frankly, every company is producing great boat designs these days. I'd say Jackson pushed performance advances that forced everyone to step up their efforts recently. Now the competition has caught up. Although, Jackson has demonstrated surpeior customer service so far.

That said, while Jackson designs have excelled in performance, I can argue that their cockpit designs have not. It is simple and effective in some of their models, but I personally feel the Hero and Villain cockpits are less desirable than other brands. It is the one area that JK could really improve upon in those two models, in my opinion. I've always really liked Wave Sorts cockpits. Also, LL's new Stomper cockpit looks like it could be dialed in securely.

Also, know that seat positioning on the Hero and Villain are critical and sensitive to find the sweet spot. I have 15 days in my Villain and may just now becoming happy with the cockpit customizing it has taken to make me feel secure and confident (I'll see after testing my laest customizations.). But, while I know the performance design is excellent, the cockpit design nearly had me getting rid of the boat for lack of fitting me securely and comfortably. After much fiddling in forming self-made knee hooks, carving out cups in the thick knee padding, removing the seat pad and adding only a thin foam so I sit lower and knees more vertical for leverage (as opposed to being spread horizontal, geting fatiqued, and having to cram in too tight to try to stay secure ... which I hadn't been.) I may be close to truly appreciating my investment and return to a confident level of boating again. It has been frustring though. That said, boats have always required cusomization to get them just right for me. Once dialed in, all is good.

I see there are several intriguing new models coming out from the various manufactures. I'd say there are many great choices this coming year.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #12
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks again guys. You're being a real help to me.
^ I completely agree with the cockpit problem on the heros. It took me 30 minutes of adding, removing foam and yanking on the adjusting strings and feet pads to get comfortable.

Chasbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #13
Boise, Idaho
Man, I have zero problems with my Superhero. Took me a few sessions to find the balance point in seat placement, and that's been about it. I love the adjustable footpads and the typical Jackson backband... not sure how study the footpads are but haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I did have to stuff an extra set of hip pads in, but that goes for every boat.

That said, I really think the Stomper is gonna be the real deal. LL's outfitting in a high volume, long/fast/stable boat with edges... it's gonna be hard to top that.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #14
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Paddling Since: 2011
I never liked the Superhero much. It was always to awkward for me. Granted that might be because of the fact that I am 5ft 6 16years old and weigh 103 lb so yeah

Chasbron is offline   Reply With Quote