Old 03-23-2012   #11
Boise, Idaho
I'll offer my experience as a somewhat new boater (who owns a Superhero):

(First, the disclaimer that it really depends on what type of water you're wanting to boat)

I really like my Superhero, as I'm just now stepping up to regular class IV I feel it offers a lot of control and predictability that I like, especially being a fairly decent playboater (I also have a Superstar), it's a pretty good transition between the boats.

That said, I really notice its limitations too boating here in Idaho (higher volume) rivers. I think the LL Remix or Stomper would be a much better boat for the river, even if the surfing and playing abilities suffer somewhat. While the Superhero can make all these runs and do it well, its been described by some as "holebait" because it's a shorter, high volume boat and I agree with that.

Now, as far as a one-quiver boat... I would really recommend just getting a really good playboat and save for a Superhero in the future.

Because I think it would give you incentive to go out and playboat, which will improve you boating skills and confidence tremendously. But you'll also be able to boat class III pretty easily even if it's slower and less comfortable. I think eventually stepping up to class IV would come as your skills improve. All of my friends boat class IV in their playboats unless it's a longer trip or creeky.

But, again, it really depends on the stuff you're boating. I guess my logic is the river runner will get more boring before the playboat, and the playboat is more versatile.

I never really liked the mid river runner boats like the 4fun because they didn't seem to excel at either playboating or river running...

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #12
SYOTR, Tennessee
I noticed you said you got a superhero. As the poster said above if you get a chance try out a second generation superstar.

After piddling for a few years this is the combination I ended up with and love them. Easy transition between the two. Now let me disclaim that I am past the age of throw loops so if you want to be an acrobat a newer playboat might be for you.

ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Not sure if I'm past the age, but possibly past the mileage.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #14
SYOTR, Tennessee
Oh yeah, I am exactly your size with size 12 feet and can comfortably wear 5-10 water tennies in the superstar.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #15
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I agree with the above about most paddlers wanting a two boat quiver to geterdone. and my two are a 4fun and a superhero, and I absolutely love em both.
there are drawbacks to every boat, but the stability and way they feel in the water are amazing. It has helped my boating immensely. I was paddling an EZG 60, and a micro 240, and the pyrhana was a great boat, but outdated-ish,(at least 10 years old i think....) but still a classic design, and the EZG just kinda sucked for me. I had a turrible time rolling it, my legs would go numb, was getting endered in wavetrains, and took some of the most memorably bad swims of my life out of it. there were other factors too,mostly involving my (lack of) fitness at that time, but Damn am I glad to be done with those boats!!! you can tell when a boat is on your side...

well,that maybe a little superstitious, but some boats are hard to roll!!!

of course everybody has their preference, especially as you narrow in on a style or need, i..e. steep creeking or freestyle, but i feel that JK are very friendly for the rest of us, beginner and up. especially for an all around-er. thus, for me the 4fun for everything else, and for high water, or class IV, and creeking, i have the superhero. I had a villian L and it was too much boat for the low water stuff i am usually doing. it was a great boat tho.

I am hoping to get into a 2012 4fun this year, but my 2009 is still a good boat. If i could afford it, I would also get a Rockstar, and for self support the Rogue (JKs answer to the LL Remix XP)....and now its only a 4or 5 boat quiver.....

And it looks like the JK Zen is comparable to the regular LL Remix. Maybe your Idaho highwater boat Anchorless...

abron is offline   Reply With Quote