Old 11-17-2009   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to al_ferguson01
Jackson Hero or ???

Hi all,

I’m in the market for a downriver boat for my daughter – we mostly kayak the Arkansas in Canyon City. She is tall – 5’9” and thin (about 130 lbs). The Jackson Hero is a good fit for her but there are very few USED ones on the market. Are there other boats that are good down river boats in about that volume (70 gallons), with a high deck (front and back) and good cockpit rigging that we should be looking for?

I’m looking for a used boat and the more options I have the better luck I should have finding a good deal on one…

Thanks for your help

al_ferguson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #2
Golden, Colorado

It was good paddling with you last Wednesday!

Check out the Small Pyranha Burn. Not sure if there is necessarily more used Burns available that would fit her, but would at least give you better odds. I have been in both boats, and thought the Burn out preformed the Hero in everything. It all comes down to fit and style, though.

The Wave Sport Diesel and Liquid Logic Remix might also be good choices. Good luck!

brandon_blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to al_ferguson01
Hi Brandon,

Good boating with you too! We should try to get a Gorge run in since they are releasing water ~ let's hope for warmer weather!

I did hear you and Jim talking about the Pyranha Burn... I'll check them out too. I've also starting looking at the Remix... thanks for the advice!

al_ferguson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #4
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

As you may have seen here before, I have frequently professed that some of the best boat choices for the gals ... because of my experiences teaching my wife, daughters, and others, and having a quiver of boats for them ... are:

JK Side Kick (kids)
JK Little Hero (most women)
JK Punk Rocker
WS Diesel
WS Habitat
Pyranha Burn

I personally feel the Hero is a large and demanding boat for all but larger and stronger women. Its 75 gallons and wide flat hull is generally a lot for many women to dominate. Whereas, if they fit the Little Hero or Punk Rocker they tend to be more confident, agile, and happier. Frankly, I think the above list of boats are about the best ever made for both men and women.

I hope you and your daughter really enjoy the sport together.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #5
All so take a look at the mamba 7.5 if she is a beginner having nice soft edges will prevent her from getting mangled up in hard eddy lines.
Renaissance adventures use them for all there classes. I'm a big Burn fan but
my girl friend had a hard time with the edges.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote