Old 09-11-2012   #11
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
We too have made the leap into the Dynamic Duo. My (8 year old) daughter has paddled quite a bit in her Fun1 and Side Kick. But the Duo allows us to do runs that might be too much for her alone. It has really helped her boat control. Her peel outs have gotten much better as a result of feeling how we do them together in the Duo. We did some big water class III in Oregon this summer and one wave was over her head and about sent her into my lap. She now lets the big waves hit her on the helmet top as she leans into them. We can even surf the duo and that has boosted her comfort surfing her own boat. It all translates and makes the learning curve less steep.

It is a really fun way paddle with kids. Way more fun than I thought it would be.

Now we will see what it is like with the mother in law next month. Can you say rock splat.....

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
lol awesome !

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #13
Puerto Varas, CHILE
Paddling Since: 1998
I have had a dynamic duo for 3 years now, this is a drema boat, we use it for commercial trips down a high volume class III IV river here in Southern Chile.
It is perfect to paddle down somebody light130-160 for me and I am light (around 160) but I even managed to paddle safely a tall friend that was approx 1m90 and almost 200 lbs, he was able to get in the kayak in the front (no shoes) and it was hard work for me but we made it.
For kids it is just perfect.
With 2 experienced paddlers you can paddle easily big rapids.
Really good boat
kokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Duo's are awesome. Here's my experience:

I have run a tight creek with another experienced paddler and we aced it. Teamwork is everything. Comparable paddling style was also beneficial.

I have taken beginners out on solid class three and depending on their preferences for excitement, they've almost all loved it. Those who were less "excitement-oriented" said they still liked it, but they said they'd have preferred more scenery and less excitement.

The weight of the beginner up front is critical. If the person up front out weighs you and doesn't do things right, you might end up swimming. I've only swam once with a lighter weight paddler up front, but I've never felt sketchier than when the guy up front outweighed me, wouldn't take my instructions, and let go of his paddle everytime we leaned into maybe don't take your old man out in it . Moms, girlfriends, and skinny male friends are great passengers. If you've got 40 lbs on someone, they can lean anyway they want and you're probably going to compensate just fine.

I've taken my duo on some self-support overnighters with non-boaters and they were PSYCHED. I could also see using it solo with a hatch cover if you needed to haul a lot of gear or something. Say like you wanted to do a climb across a river. You could ferry your partner, then go back and ferry the gear, too. Say you wanted to bring your chainsaw, whatever, you could do it fine in the duo, but you'd have to paddle Grumman canoe-style since you're not centered. Probably wouldn't want to run something too squeezy like that unless you're a Grumman OG.

Lastly, the things front surf like beasts. Find a fast green wave and get on it. All you do is rudder. If it's steeper you can perle the shit out of the bow and dunk your front passenger, too.

Anyhow, get one. They're fun and you'll love it. You kids will love it. Your friends will love it. Your wife/girlfriend will love it. Just do it.
Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #15
Grand Junction, Colorado
Ok so i took the leap and bought a demoed duo from Alpine Quest thanks Chris took my older brother down the colorado in grand junction mostly calm flat water just to test it and a couple surf holes hes about 5.8 170lbs size 11 shoes and im 220 6 foot size 12 feet. i was able to put him in side surf front surf and able to roll with him very well. he is alright at rolling as long as i felt him kick in we came up fine i also tried it with him leaning forward rolled him twice without his help had a swim 1 time id have to say this boat is alot of fun i learned tandem doin inflatables but this is a different story love the investment im happy with my purchase also i come from the wavesport line and i have to say jackson outfitting isnt half bad cant wait to take my kids out on the next run!

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote