Jackson Antix (opinions please) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2017   #1

Glendale, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2013
Jackson Antix (opinions please)

Has anyone ran the Jackson antix? If so, how does it do surfing and river running? And how is the tail while river running?

Hunter.B26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Depends on weight. At 190, I found the Large a bit too large, but I like slicy boats. The medium was nimble and floated adequately. The tail is small, and will take some learning for someone not used to it. When you get used to it, it will allow pivot turns and squirts, which can be quick ways to get out of trouble once mastered. During the learning process, it rolls easily. Practice a few pivot turns on easy water before taking on harder stuff and you should be okay.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #3

Glendale, Kentucky
FallingH2O

How did the tail do on drops, boofs, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The tail is comparatively large relative to what I'm used to. There's actually plenty of volume around the cockpit. If you're not used to that kind of thing,it will get grabbed. Once you get used to it, it will be fun.
What have you been paddling?
Old 04-20-2017   #5

Glendale, Kentucky
I've been paddling the old model super fun. It's a river running play boat.
Old 04-20-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The Antix will be faster, by a very noticeable bit. The tail is also longer, and you will have to learn to cope with that, but it shouldn't be too hard. A Super fun has a lot of volume in a shorter space than the Antix. As for boofing, any boat can be boofed. It's just a matter of timing and core muscles. Your Boof stroke will have to be carried a little later than you're used to to keep the bow up longer. Booting was developed on 10 foot long boats, though, so 7 + foot boats can be done. One thing you may like is that the area around the cockpit is a little lower and rounder on the Antix, which I prefer to the shape of the Funs.
Old 04-20-2017   #7

Glendale, Kentucky
Thanks for the help. Before the antix came out I was debating between the zen and the new fun series. From what you have said and the research I've done the antix best combines a river runner and play boat.
Old 04-20-2017   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I haven't paddled it a lot yet, but took my large Antix down Gore a few weeks ago.

It's a great hybrid between play and creek boats.

I weigh 200 and have yet to truly dial in squirting it, though I expect this will improve with use.

I didn't feel he low volume tail was throwing me around much, but of course it'll get back ender-ed easier than a creek Boat.

The above comments all seem spot on.

Demo one. We have both sizes if you're near boulder, not that there's anything running locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I had a very very short demo in one. Hull design seemed good to me. I think you could confidently river run in it without worrying about constant stern squirts. In fact, it seemed to demand good technique to squirt it. The edges are quite pronounced so it can really carve.

My only warning is I found it very uncomfortable with respect to fit around my thighs. If I were to own one I would have to do some significant work to outfit it. If you're like me and prone to being tight in boats that are the correct volume for you, I'd make sure you sit in one first.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #10
4Corners Riversports

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
One of our customer's paddled one on the Zambezi this winter. He wrote us an awesome review you can check out on the 4CRS blog.

Jackson Antix Review

www.riversports.com / 1-800-426-7637
360 S. Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote