Old 08-11-2015   #1
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Jackson 4Fun 4Me?

OK, after all the online research I can do and talking to a few folks, I'm still looking for feedback:

I'm looking at buying a 2012 4fun. I weigh 180 necked, so with a bit of water, safety gear, food for a day run like the gunny gorge or ark I'd have about 190#s in the boat.

I like river running, but also have been spending time at the new Montrose play park. What do I do at the play park you ask? I front surf, spin in holes, go upside down and pretty much continue that cycle.

I don't (yet) throw ends and I don't aspire to do blunts or ariel tricks... I'm 45 and enjoy being on the water- class 3 with some 4.

I paddled a 2nd gen fun today and liked it, but am concerned it'll be overloaded on long day runs.

For those with some miles in on the 3rd gen 4fun, do ya think it'll be a versatile river/play boat for me and fun in the park-- or too big?

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #2
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I think you're the perfect size for the 4fun.

I weigh the same as you and recently traded my SuperStar for a 4Fun as I had a previous version of the 4Fun and really liked it. Another reason i went back to the 4Fun is that I do the same "tricks" as you when play boating (front surfing and spinning), and found the 4Fun a lot more comfortable to sit in all day compared to the SuperStar. Long story short, I think you're the prefect size for the 4Fun.

BoiseSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #3
littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Had a 4Fun and never comfortable in it along with Superstar and Rockstar L and Monstar, ended up with a Pyrana Varun and for me it is the best feel. Try the boat on the river b/4 you purchase.
colo4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #4
vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a 2008 4fun and love it. I mostly river run, been down the Grand a couple times in it, very comfortable for me and I loaded it down with water, extra layers and snacks. I'm 45 too, so not much radical surfing, mostly front surfing and some old school stern squirts although I have almost hit a loop. Definitely try before you buy. Some people don't like the happy feet setup.
leesonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #5
It's a play boat

I'm about the same size as you and have a 2013 4fun and love it. It's basically a larger version of the star series and acts more like a play boat than river runner. Almost everything I can throw in an Allstar I can throw in a 4fun. That said- if you're looking for more river runner, I would shoot for the first version or 2015 version of the 4fun. The newest version looks like an incredible boat.
nlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #6
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1439497501.107533.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	10409

Got a 2011 4fun! Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote