Old 03-29-2016   #1
Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
Jackson 2Fun plastic

I am seriously considering buying a 2015 Jackson 2Fun for summer play boating and lower grade river running. I'm never going to be throwing down huge aerial moves and the like. But I have been demoing the 2Fun at a whitewater centre over here, and I really do like it. It's got enough speed for general river running and is great on a wave. I can even bury the ends on the flat water as easily as my old G Force. My girlfriend is also really interested in getting one too. The boat certainly seems to live up to its name!

My main question though is regarding plastic durability. Jackson themselves say that the plastic is thinner than their creek boats, which is understandable. But even my girlfriends Karma has had some nasty scrapes and more indenting on low grade rivers that my Veloc has shrugged off easily. So I'm a bit concerned about having even thinner plastic on a boat.

It's not as if we'll ever be running G4-G5 rocky creeks in the Fun, but I don't want to take it on a low river and finding out that it splits easily. Plus of course rock spins and splats may well be the order of the day, so rock contact may well be a big part of its life.

Has anyone here owned one of the 2015 Fun models for a while who can comment on how the plastic is holding up on river runs?

SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have known multiple people that either own or have owned the 2015 Fun and Star series. Neither has been prone to plastic failure. In fact I haven't heard any real issues with their plastic since they had a bad batch like 6-8 years ago, and they were excellent with their warranties on those.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Me and my boys all use the Fun series kayaks and other Jackson models and 90% of the river running we do in them has been low water Colorado class III runs on the Poudre and Arkansas. In the 10+ years of using Jackson kayaks I've only ever cracked one, a SuperFun (2nd gen) early in the 4th year after 3 solid years (100+ days) of mostly low water runs and lots of abuse. I weigh 250+ and if there is a rock to scrape I always manage to find it, not to mention boofing and splatting plenty of rocks. When the SuperFun cracked I really couldn't complain - I had really abused it and was happy at how long it lasted.

Long and short: You can't go wrong with the 2Fun, and it's nice to know the company has a solid reputation of backing up their warranties.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #4
Thanks guys. Moving on a little bit, what are the main differences in handling and feel between the original Fun, the 2010 update, and the new 2015 model?
Old 04-04-2016   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
For reference, there are four generations of the Fun series (excluding Fun1, Fun1.5, and SuperFun).

2004-2006 - 1st generation
2007-2009 - 2nd generation
2010-2014 - 3rd generation
2015-present - 4th generation

The pictures below are of the 2nd (yellow), 3rd (blue/green), and 4th (green) gens 2Fun.

For additional reference, pull up pictures online of the Fun1 / Fun1.5 - those are based on the 1st generation design.

Here is consolidated feedback based on my experience and that of my kids:

2nd gen was a huge improvement over the 1st gen. Better balanced stern, better river runner, much improved outfitting, still has plenty of play.

3rd generation was a nice improvement over 2nd gen. Knees were brought in, the design was more playful overall, outfitting was further improved in 2012.

4th generation - biggest design shift in the series - better river runner and faster than previous 3 gens, my boys think it's more forgiving and also less playful than previous gens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	11261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	971.6 KB
ID:	11262  

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016   #6
That's awesome, thanks! Yeah I heard that the new Fun had gone more to river running than play, but I think that suits me and my GF better. I have found it still to be quite playful and I can still get it vertical on the flat despite my poor technique.