Old 12-15-2011   #21
Creede, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I've had a landing pad, a silverback, and a Jacks. The Jacks with a little less air than it can hold is more comfortable than my bed at home. I toss and turn a lot in my sleep, and can't seem to roll off the Jacks. Plus it's made in the USA by people who give a sh#$ and know what they are doing to a fault. Price point is a factor, but I love my Jacks Pad.

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #22
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've been using a regular size roll-a-cot for 7 years with a 2.5 inch Thermarest. Until this past summer I used the cot in an REI Taj 3-man tent (peak height 48 inches). This is a 3 person backpacking tent, and I could sit up on the cot in the tent. This summer I got a Big Agnes Coulton Creek. This tent is a little bigger & taller than the Taj. I got the taller tent because I had major knee surgery and the taller door on the Coulton Creek is a little easier for entry & exit. I also use the cot without the tent a lot. I found it to be a good way to sleep out under the stars without worrying about the creepy crawlies. One summer I did 4 multi-day trips with the cot, and I never put my tent up once (lucked out with the weather that year). I stick my river bags under or next to the cot, and I set my camp chair next to the cot as kind of a side table for stuff I want to grab during the night. The cot is also much cooler than a PVC pad. You can actually skip the thermarest and just sleep in your sleeping bag, sleeping sheet, etc. on the cot. It's got enough support and the mesh breathes on a really hot trip.

I have tried many different sleep systems over the years,including two different sizes of JPW Paco pads. I never got a good nights sleep on any of them. People swore by the Paco, and I tried very hard to like them. In the end I was disappointed with them. Plus they were a major pain in the ass to roll up. I have never needed/used one on my Cat, and very few of the people that I raft with use them on their boats. There is no one in my core group who uses them. We all use roll-a-cots. After finally finding a comfy way to sleep outdoors, I'll never sleep on the ground again.

To each his or her own. Attached pictures show some of our tents that we use cots in.....REI Taj, Big Agnes, Kelty, Marmot. To the OP.....Roll-a-cot makes a wide version, 74 X 32 inches.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have all 3 pads. The maravia is always my first choice. I have probably had it for 10 years. Jacks is a close second for comfort, although I dislike the valve for rolling it up. The foam in the Aire is stiff and does not roll up well. It is the last pad out the door with the family. My thermarest is like roughing it.

My maravia pad on the roll a cot is more comfortable than alot of beds I have slept on.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #24
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have both, the JPW and Maravia 4" pad. I sleep great on either one. Sometimes diagonally across both. I also sleep great lying in the sand. In the long run it's probably more cost effective, physically and mentally, to invest in the best sleeping pad vs. the best bottle of gin. If possible, opt for both.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #25
Paddling Since: 1994
fwiw. my paco literally has over 8 years and 1000 nights on it and still going strong. the thing gets abused to hell and back every trip. pinched by straps over the dry box and cooler, dragged all over, used to cover the load on the truck, folded, rolled,you name it. the thing has been to africa, a bunch of trips down the grand (as mine and a loaner for others) blah blah blah and it just wont die. not that i am looking to spend another 200 on a new one but i wont hesitate a second when the time comes. i just hope they are made with the same foam as they used to be. i think that is the big difference. quality foam is expensive.
i agree that the valves are not ideal but the fist time you kneel on that c-7 leaning for something or get tossed into it you'll wish it had that little stem instead of that chunk of molded plastic smashed into your knee.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #26
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Hey All,

I just wanted to post to let you know that we are upgrading our Landing Pads in 2012. We have heard your feedback, and next year they will have reinforced corners:

The 30" landing pads will be $139.00 and the 24" landing pads will be $126.00. You can still pick some of this years Landing pads for $128.75 (30") and 113.50(24").

P.S. Before I worked for AIRE I had a Pac Pad and Maravia Pad...Both were very comfortable.
AIRE Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #27
Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
My friends canyon pads already have the reinforced corners on them on the outfitter pad. I looked at my maravia and the material is already getting thin and wearing.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #28
Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
roll-a-cot tent sleepers

All you roll-a-cot tent sleepers, does the cot legs wear holes in the tent floor?
Bluefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #29
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Not yet. But this is my first rollacot season and i have a cheap tent with a tarplike bottom. I dont think the cot hits the exact same place each time. The cot legs have plastic caps that prevent direct metal contact. You could probably bring along a few squares of boating material if you are gonna lose sleep over it
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #30
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Bluefunk View Post
All you roll-a-cot tent sleepers, does the cot legs wear holes in the tent floor?
7 years & no holes. Most times I use locally harvested rocks to level the cot in the tent. The rocks help disperse the force of the cot legs on the tent floor. But even without the rocks I haven't had any problems. Sometimes I carry along some furniture floor protector thingies, 3 inch X 3 inch to put under the legs. I've seen folks stick their shoes under the legs. I usually use something under the legs in soft sand.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote