Old 04-23-2007   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Shredder - after being in the Culebra the larger tubes and lower floor on the Big Rockered version of the shredder (21.5" vs 19" tubes on the Culebra) was a really noticeable difference. The foot cups in the shredder had a tighter fit and that combined with the greater depth of the boat made me feel more solid and comfortable in it. The shredder is a bit narrower, but it was still fine for me, its owner (Don from Confluence - thanks for the ride), and a rather large grey trash can (for picking up trash on earthday). The main compartment seemed longer than the Culebra - which would be nice for self supported overnight trips. The boat didn't seem to turn quite as quickly as the Culebra, but I believe that the shredder is about a foot longer and has a longer waterline, it still turns quite quickly, but not as fast as the Culebra. The comment was made that due to being a bit narrower that the Shredder is easier to R1. The shredder is a Neoprene Hypalon material - from talking to several different people who own them they seem to hold up really well.

Personally I would chose the Shredder after paddling both.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #12
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
The shredder is a Neoprene Hypalon material - from talking to several different people who own them they seem to hold up really well.
Not to be a super-dork but...

Hypalon is a high grade 'rubber' coating on neoprene.
see: Hypalon®

Shredders are made from a lighter, thinner vulcanized rubber coated neoprene that isn't hypalon. Not that it matters.....

if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #13
as for the shredder. it is very responsive. can r1 it easy enough. seems to take abuse well. bomber footcups. that black "rubber" can get pretty hot in the sun. even works with a oar frame, although you need to add d rings. floor does not bail completely unless you are stern heavy, so your feet are in the water most of the time. i haven't tried the culebra yet but i have had good experinces with jpw tubes.
freeboatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #14
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Go with the SHREDDER. I have R1 both and i truely love the shredder!!!
bigdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #15
Leonardtown, Maryland
Paddling Since: 2003
Shredder for sure!

The Shredder is by far my favorite craft. I bought my very own boat a month ago and have been able to get it on some good water already. The Stonycreek, Upper Yough and the Cheat Canyon. Unfortunately my last trip ended very badly. At the take out for the Cheat some time after loading it onto the shuttle and getting back to camp my boat disappeared. It's so popular that someone would steal to have one. I don’t believe it fell off the truck. We had a second shuttle truck following us the entire time. It literally disappeared. Anyway I am super bummed and disappointed that someone would do something like this. But I have faith that if enough people know the story and have the description of my boat that I can get it back. I am currently living in Southern Maryland but I am going to be moving to Summit County in June. Here is a description of my Shredder. Keep your eyes peeled. Thanks,

2 man Shredder
All Black
Teal Handles (webbing)
Yellow side rope & roll rope
The “S” in the word “inflatables” on the right side of boat is
rubbing off.
Caps on all 4 valves
Shredderette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #16
woodland park, Colorado
My opinion

I know you posted this a little while ago but I just saw it. I am an owner of the JPW culebra and have paddeled it through some big water (r2 of course). I also have the pleasure of having great friends that own shredders and I find myself opinionated about the issue. I have also paddled the shredder through big water as well. Here are my thoughts.

JPW Culebra: It has it's high points. The foot brace in the back is nice because you can wedge in tighter than you feel like you can in a shredder. The foot cups in the culebra leave a little something to be desired in my opinion. I am a smaller frame female and I usually paddle with my husband who is quite a bit larger and stronger than me, so the foot cup thing might be preference since I don't think he cares either way. The Culebra has larger diameter tubes , a plus in most cases, it sits higher out of the water, creating less drag and seems to turn a bit quicker. Don't get me wong the dshredder turns fast too. When (if) you do flip (which I have many times), the culebra has high thwarts and has a tendancy to want to right itself. Now if (when) you do swim becasue of the large tubes I found it really hard to get back in (we women generally lack upper body stength). We have added the "rescue" handles on the sides and a strap accross the thwarts and I can get it much easier now. The material is holding up exceptionally well and I have no complaints about that. The Culebra is "held together" by 4 d rings that you strap just below the inside of the thwarts, because of this design the culebra twists and tourques when one side in under more pressure in the water. I haven't figured out if this is a good thing or not.

My biggest complaint with the Culebra is the floor is laced onto the base of the raft, this creates a seam/gap in the front. As you punch through big rapids this gap/seam has a tendancy to hold you in the rapid and significantly slow down your momentum (this is mainly the reason for our swims). In general if you plan to only run class III or IV- you will be fine, otherwise the Shredder or the Hyside version are a better choice.

The shredder: Overall a great design and a class V capable boat (if the paddelers are class V). the part about a shredder that sucks is it is black. Black boats and hot weather or bright sun are not a good combination. Easy to pop this boat if you are not careful and burn you skin if you get on without a good rinsing or cold river water when it is sunny. Ihae had minor burns a couple times because I forgot about it being black.

Honestly if I had to do it over again I would buy a shredder.

nicmayer is offline   Reply With Quote