Old 09-08-2010   #1
Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Is this boat good for now?

Hey guys,
I just began kayaking at the end of this summer and have become addicted. I bought a Dagger Crazy 88 6.3 off of one of my fellow guides, and so far I have had no complaints about it. I plan on doing more river running up to class 4 rather than play boating(of course I want to play a little too), so I am not sure if this boat would be right for me when the river levels come up. I currently live in Northern California where I have access to awesome rivers such as the Trinity, Klamath, Smith, Redwood Creek, and a ton of other little tributaries. I am 6'0 and weight between 155 to 160 pounds. I am considering buying a Jackson Hero or something along those lines, or should I just save my money and charge my Crazy 88?

gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #2
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Class 4 in a playboat is alright, but if you ever plan on paddling Class V you might as well invest in a Hero early and get used to it.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #3
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I think playboats like your crazy 88 are much better for learning good habits early on. A hero will let you "get away" with a lot more than a crazy 88 in terms of lazy paddling. This will pay off later when you do get a creeker and want to run harder stuff.

To answer question better, yes you are good to go in an c88.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #4
N/A, North Carolina
I think the crazy 88 is awesome boat, especially for comfort and learning in. I know a friend that refused to take his crazy 88 down class for due to the probability of him getting munched in some hole in it.

I'd get the hero but make sure you don't use it for runs you can handle in the palyboat.
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Charge the Crazy 88 for now. Try to take the opportunity to jump in someone's creek boat when you get the chance and get a feel for what's out there. I believe some of those old Dagger guys used to jump in their little Dagger playboats to run Upper Death on the Colorado (burly class V) for the explicit reason of flushing through all the holes. So I wouldn't put too much credence into you guy off the internet who know some guy who said Crazy 88's will get stuck in holes on class IV. I agree with the comment above that sticking with the playboat as a beginner will accelerate your learning curve by forcing you to use better paddle techniques get through the water rather than a larger boat. Playboats are completely reasonable for running up through class IV and many people use them in class V.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #6
Ashland, Oregon
Thank you guys for the reply's. I will just keep on trucking with the C88 and maybe look into a riverrunner/creeker next season once I am used to this boat.

gilles is offline   Reply With Quote