Old 03-30-2004   #1
Is the EZ a good boat for a beginner women kayaker?

I am beginner kayaker. I have been on the river plenty of times in a raft but not in a kayak. I found a good deal on a Wavesport EZ and purchased it. I don't really care much to play in it, maybe later on down the line I might, but right now I just want to river runner and stay with the raft. I took it to the pool last weekend and found it really hard to roll. Not that I have much experience. The question is .... Is the EZ a good boat for a beginner women kayaker?

renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004   #2
pnw, Washington
Well I cant address the woman part and not sure why that would matter. What does matter is what size you are and if you are smaller, I think the EZ is a great beginner boat. It it easier to roll than some of the newer boats and runs rivers well. I do believe that women are much better, natural rollers than men due to weight distribution, shorter torso's, flexibility but that is a generalization. My opinion would be to keep the boat and get back in the pool and work on your roll.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004   #3
I agree with what gh said - that saves me from all that typing.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004   #4
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

The EZ should be just fine as a river runner for you. Here's something that might help the rolling part. Try adding about an inch of foam to the top of the seat. You will feel a little bit higher and the boat might seem tippy at first, but that feeling will go away quickly as your body learns it's new balance points.

The bennifits out weigh the cons 10 to 1. You'll have tons more leverage, be able to see further down the river, be quicker edge to edge, and you'll no longer have to worry about hitting your elbows on the top deck of the boat.

Good luck and stick with the EZ.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004   #5
Golden, Colorado
the EZ is a great boat and will take you a long way but as far as being a beginner boat, i'd say it depends on the beginner. If you're aggressive and learn quickly and aren't afraid to flip and roll back up alot while you're learning, get it. If you're more conservative and think you'll have a tough time perfecting your roll, i'd get a cheap used classic beginner's boat like an rpm, inazone or x, learn in that, and then sell it for close to the amount you bought it for to another beginner when you're ready to move up in a year.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004   #6
pnw, Washington
I would have recommended some of the boats you mentioned and I still recommend the rpm as well but its a pretty long boat for a smaller person and since she has already bought the ez then I wouldnt change to the others you mentioned. As far as the other boats you mention, x and inazone, I dont understand why you would think they would be easier to roll. About the same width with flat bottoms.
Old 04-01-2004   #7
Ez should be a good one for you. Keep working on the roll. Boat selection does make some difference, but I think it is more about the basic skills being used in whatever boat you find yourself in.
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004   #8
Golden, Colorado
I actually recommend those based on the economics of it as much how good the boat is. They are all good beginner boats but the main thing is you can buy them cheap and they maintain their value because of their demand as beginner boats. I have never lost more than $150 on a boat by going with boats that I know will be in demand as beginner boats once I'm ready to move on. The EZ definitely falls in this category, they just aren't as cheap as RMP's X's and Inazones right now.

gh, you're right, the RPM may be too big for her. The redline or infrared may be a better choice. I think the RPM and Inazone and maybe the X roll easier than the EZ because they are more rounded on top. The EZ is more like trying to roll an upsidedown dinner plate. It has more to do with the shape of the top of the boat than the bottom. If she already bought an EZ, she'll be happy with it. It's a great boat. She may just loose a bit more money on it if she wants a new boat and she may find herself upside down more often... but then again, that's how you learn quicker.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #9
pnw, Washington
Blutzski, ah ok I see, that makes sense to me.

I think Don's idea of raising the seat a bit and getting more leverage is a good idea. Hit the pool and snap those hips!