Old 11-10-2013   #11
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
I think Nessy nailed it. Speaking from experience as a newer paddler myself, the first year of paddling I spent too much time trying new boats instead of just staying in 1 to learn rolling and river basics. The crammed feeling you are experiencing is kinda necessary for whitewater paddling offering more boat control, if you are loose in the boat during a roll you will slip out of position easy in the cockpit. If your knees can go farther out to sides then they should be out there for leverage. I have seen 6' + dudes crammed into kid size playboats (for fun) without the foamblocks and they still float. So your 8 could be outfitted to fit you by shimming or shaving what is required. But definitely get on the lessons/pool sessions this winter.

Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #12
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
My Two Cents. That boat is too small for you. The mamba is a classic design that is battle proven. It's actually the first boat that dagger has ever made a radically redesigned second gen version of. But, the 8.0 is still too small for you.
A boat that is too small, will get tripped up on eddies lines, will be harder to turn than the larger size, and you may even find it next to impossible to boof. Further, paddling a boat without shoes on is unacceptable, unless you are from the southeast.
My advice, flip it and buy a bigger boat.

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
After adjusting the boat some more, I think that the boat may fit me. I'm having a hard time figuring out whether the cramped feeling I'm getting is due to the boat being too small or to my adjusting to how tightly you fit in a kayak. I'm going to seek some professional, in-person, advice on the subject.
RyanHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #14
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Good idea to wait until someone with knowledge can see how you have outfitted the boat and how well you fit. Pool sessions would also be a great way to get comfortable with the whole paddling scenario. Much nicer to flip upside-down for the first time in warm water.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #15
Rockingham, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2013
Ethos Ten

I had an am having the same trouble. I have the WaveSport Ethos Ten, a very big boat ! I also have the Remix 69, great boat!! But very tight for me, I am 6'6" 200lbs, Needless to say I have had trouble finding a good one for my height . But what I did was go to the nearest outdoor center near you an demo the boats they have . Most will have the latest brands an will let you ride them before you buy. This will help you place your self in the right boat for you. I go the the NOC the Nantahala Outdoor Center. The also have classes for beginners , and a very good video called the Kayakers Toolbox. This is the best one I have found. Hands down! Very detailed on every thing. Just my experience as a new comer too. Good luck an have fun. I personally love this sport !! ..

ethos ten is offline   Reply With Quote