Old 05-22-2015   #11
Barton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I thought for a minute that I had a paddle order that I forgot about

I would contact werner and ask them what resins are compatible, I've tried patching those paddles with west systems epoxy and it didn't adhere very well.

mr.blunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #12
Ft Collins, Colorado
For years (like 5 or 6), I paddled an AT with similar cracks and pits in the blade. No question that it's best to seal it. But I was lazy and my AT didn't absorb water nor delaminate with _many_ days on the river, including a two Grand trips. It finally broke at the connection in the middle of shaft. I wouldn't replace the blade until it breaks or there's apparent structural damage, like the crack expanding. Like you, I was concerned when I first damaged the foam-core blade but I got used to it.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by J144 View Post
I had something similar happen this winter. A rock went through it while ELF boating. This (no endorsement) or similar product is what I was told to use: Bondo® Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit 420

Footnote kudos plug: Mine was AT and covered under warranty, so I didn't have to bother with the repair.

How old was your AT? Did you need your receipt?

Just noticed similar damage. Planning on epoxying over the damage with some sanding feathered out an inch first to help adhesion.

But if AT will replace it I may go that route instead... Not concerned about the damage if they don't though. Much higher chance breaking the shaft than the blade even with the damage.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1432343377.843933.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	9944Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1432343396.879804.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	9945

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #14
fort collinsco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I would try "grace vicor" widow sealing tape rubber self healing just rough it up stick paddle in sun and stick on tape. I saw a steep creek racer at vail go pro games that patched his kayak with this stuff.. you can buy at Home D or find a window replacement company they would probably give you a little. I am in Ft. C if you are local I will give you some tape
dweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #15
Meridian, Idaho
Dont know if it would work for your application but check out rapid fix. It is incredibly strong and versatile.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #16
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Turn it into a canoe paddle
qdidily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #17
Columbus, Ohio
Just wondering but how hard were you hitting rocks and what not? I just ordered a sho-gun and am worried because i just broke my werner touring blade
equincel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #18
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
If you are going to use a foam core blade for shallow mank creeking, your blade will eventually be covered in such cracks. No ones fault but your own. I advise using cheaper blades like the fiberglass werners. Save the fancy paddles for playboating and rivers with water. Personally, I have never broken a blade, the shaft always seems to fail first, normally somewhere important like the middle of double trouble or slideways.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Instead of replacing the blade I would just possibly seal it and just use the dang thing until it breaks now don't get me wrong I love werner. Maybe next time around I would invest in an AT if they really do replace them hassle free.
Keep calm and Kayak On
kayaklifeislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't put vycor on your paddle. It will get eaten up by UV and and be a bitch to remove. If you want short term water protection, taper over it before you epoxy it, but you'll need to clean off any residue, before he proper fix will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote