Old 01-13-2012   #11
west denver, Colorado
i use drytop and dry pants and alternate layers.. way cheaper than drysuit and works great .. no go on a wet suit

kmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #12
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by Tindel View Post
As a former surfer.... Never, ever, EVER buy a used wetsuit. The chance that it was peed in it is extreamly high. That's how surfers stay warm on really cold days.
Wetsuits are washable, you know...

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #13
Red Beard
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
I'll now add this to the list: 3. Don't buy used wetsuits from surfers.......
At the very least - don't buy MY used wetsuits!
Tindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #14
Ouray & Buena Vista & Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
i wear spandex thermals, a wet suit, a hot chilies insulated shirt, a fleece, dry pants and a dry top when i boat in the winter time in co. i stay very warm.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #15
Truckee, California
As a former surfer.... Never, ever, EVER buy a used wetsuit. The chance that it was peed in it is extreamly high. That's how surfers stay warm on really cold days.
As a surfer, I'm surprised that this would bother you. It's strange to hear that some people actually don't pee in their wetsuits. Used wetsuits can be had for a song on craigslist, though new ones will last longer and have better neoprene than older ones. If you want to, just rinse with soap and water.

My humble advice: If you're going to wear a wetsuit, get a surf wetsuit (new or used, your preference). The technology is fantastic today, and a good surf suit is extremely comfortable, flexible and warm. I R2 in my surf suit (4/3), it's great. If I swim, I want to be in a full suit...swimming in a farmer john in the winter sounds miserable!
GregMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #16
Cool, California
I wear a NRS farmer john drytop combo for winter and early spring boating here in Cali on the SFA. Water temp low to mid 40's, air temp 40's to 60's. Did a SWR class last spring where we were in and out of the water all day, my instructor made me do jumping jacks when I came out of the river so I would stay warm. I was OK in the water, but if you swim and don't want to do P.E. class when you get out, get a drysuit if you can afford it. The one thing that I don't like about wearing a wetsuit is that I feel constricted in the torso, have a harder time with my roll. Could be the added thermal layers and neoprene "squeezing" me. Drysuit is defenitely in my future. If you go the wetsuit route, get a pair of neoprene shorts as well, it will help keep the boys warm.
Kirk Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #17
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Agree on the surfer's wet suit. The technology is amazing. Surfing requires a great deal of mobility. The NRS wetsuits don't cut it. (Maybe ok for tourists on a raft.)
Look for sales online. 3/4 and flat seams that are sealed. Avoid folded seams.
Drysuits are best, but more expensive and the gaskets are fragile. With a little bit of care (keep sand out of the seams, rinse and let dry) a wetsuit lasts a long time. Avoid abrasion.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #18
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
This is the best thread of the new year. And yes, I pee in my wetsuit, in my splash pants, in my raft and in kayaks. When in whitewater and the need to pee arrises, I pee. All of said cloathes and craft wash. Pee is sterile. Clothes / wetsuits can be washed in vinegar and hung n the sun. We use cloth diapers for the kids, at first a service and the got some nice ones with some of them previously used. Nothing wrong with a little pee, but you still couldn't get me to drink my own even if I was on a desert isle.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #19
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Who needs a groover? Just wait for a Kayaker to break for lunch

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote