Old 04-12-2011   #1
colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Inland Marine Liquid Rubber?

Has anyone used the Liquid Rubber from Inland Marine. I would like to hear any pros and cons of using this product. I have an older hypalon raft where many parts of the rubber are fairly abraded. This product sounds like it could be a possible solution, but I don't want to buy and regret it later if it will be problematic.

Here is a link to the site:

Inland Marine - Liquid Rubber

gmartin1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I'am planning on going the Inland Marine route myself on my three year old boat project. Just waiting for the spring time to warm up. If you do something first or hear negitives about Inland Marine PM me and I will do the same for you. Have fun.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #3
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I can show you some pics of some seam tape we replaced on a hypalon boat 2 years ago. It think it held up pretty good, although the boat has been mostly sitting since then.

I think its a good product but don't know how well it holds up under abuse. I'd say better than throwing a boat away but not gonna be like owning a maravia. seam tape is not a mission critical function as it only protects the glued seam from abrasion.

PM me if you want me to send you some pics.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
No experience with Inland rubber, but I have used the Urethane kit that AAA sells (looks about the same price as the inland stuff) and had great results. Urethane gets my vote for high wear zones as it is much more abrasion resistant than rubber, and is the choice of most boat manufacturers for the same application. with proper primers and prep (AAA supplies these in the kit) the fix is permanent- no peeling.

I have put some frame chafers on a hypalon mini max and redid the bottom of two others (hypalon and PVC). The painting (rolling) process was relatively easy and yielded factory looking results. really helped the resale value on the two I sold too.

Just two unsolicited cents.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #5
Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I did my super puma last year with liquid rubber and it did not work for me. It peeled like a bad sun burn. The company refunded my money on the liquid rubber. I did like the paint they sell. I would skip the rubber and just paint on three or four coats of their paint.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #6
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Puma is PVC so urethane coating should adhere better - I would expect LR to perform better on hypalon
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #7
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
On Hypalon and Neoprene boats, surface coatings can restore abraision damage. Just don't mistake the general breakdown of the coating for abraision. No surface coat is effective when the inside coating has broken down--and that is the most common reason for the demise of old rafts.

It rarely happens when the Hypalon content is high--like 80% as on the grey Riken rafts, but is common on rafts with high Neoprene content--like the blue or red Rikens. We've all seen the symptoms: The surface starts to look chalky, then it starts to check and crack. Pretty soon, air seeps through in large patches. At that point, the raft is finished. No exterior coating can hold the air in.

I've tried using an interior coating with mixed results. It works where it sticks, but the trick is getting the liquid material all over the inside of the tubes. You mix the two parts, squirt the liquid into the raft, and then fully invlate it. You and a couple of friends then lift the raft and keep turning it over and over in every direction until the liquid gels. You'll see it start seeping through the bad spots, sealing from the inside. To that extent, it works.

The problem is that it is almost impossible to get full coverage, and if you stop turning the raft too soon, it pools and makes thick spots that are semi-stiff and tend to crack. Also, don't deflate the raft for several days after treatment, or you might get adhesions.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #8
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
These urethane coatings might be the way you want to go. I think this is what I'm going to use to fix my boats.

Raft Repair Coatings - Man of Rubber, Inc.

ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote