Old 09-26-2015   #51
Cave Creek, Arizona
Originally Posted by tango View Post
When it comes to talking about boats, I don't mind being a nerd.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #52
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Scott is one of the best ik boaters around. He runs that sotar and a stiletto. Dude is a anomaly and could duckie anything a kayker could. He writes for canoe and kayak magazine last I heard, check out his work. Great guy taboot. Every time I've seen him lately hes in a hardshell fwiw.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #53
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
They each have their place. I would much rather take a DUCKY down the Escalante River or Dirty Devil at extreme low flow, but I would equally prefer to be in a hardshell for an actual low flow whitewater run.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #54
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I used to follow Brian's blog religiously, loved the photos and videos. Got a chance to meet Fish (IK'er on the Carbon river) on the White Salmon on summer, it was cool to get to talk to him. Also, Riley Baxter is a Legit IK'er who was paddling some nasty stuff ahead of the curve, like back in the 80's and 90's in a Riken and Grabner IK. He was doing the Green Truss section of the White Salmon before it was popular to hardshell. Pretty amazing to see what can be done in an IK, when most of you have pointed out how much performance a Hardshell offers.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #55
Cave Creek, Arizona
If you want to see some crazy IK footage, check out Jeff Snyder. My favorite is "A token of my extreme".

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #56
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
How do IK's perform in must boof off rock situations? I realize an IK can do a lot, as one of the most complete guide books for California is done from a group of IKers. It's always interesting seeing some of their remarks, such as certain rapids can't be done on IK's without flipping, though they still get through.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015   #57
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I agree with most that has been said, but there are many different kinds of duckies, some very large and raft like and others, quite sleek and more like a hardshell. I started out in a hardshell so I understand their strengths. I also have a number of duckies from a 2 person Tributary, which is great for some stuff, and a couple Aire Force duckies which are really pretty quick and nimble. I have thigh straps and foot pegs and can roll them proficiently. They can never be as quick and nimble as a hard shell, but for class 3/4 they serve the same purpose for me. And my wife and kids can run just about anything in them without the hassles/risk of dealing with a hardshell. Duckies are different animals, but they are not all slow and lumbering.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015   #58
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Do you folks think the next step in IK evolution will be some sort of modif. to the side tubes to give edges? I understand that Sea eagle has come out with a total dropstitch kayak including the sides, although thats not one of their ww boats. That sort of rigidity along with edged side tubes would pretty much up the performance to that of a hard shell, don't you think?

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote