Old 08-18-2011   #11
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Aire or Hydside and you can't go wrong. Don't get a Sevylor, they aren't whitewater boats and won't last.
I'm going to have to go ahead and agree as it looks like Sevylor doesn't make the RiverX k-1 or k-2 anymore. They have a similar one but I can't speak to it's performance.

Having said that, the RiverX was designed for whitewater and I have had good results over the 6 years I've owned mine.

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
NRS Maverick...the lightest IK on the market. It is incredibly responsive, very durable and has the NRS backing with a 10 year warranty! Get the tandem and like Summit suggests, you can then use them for overnight trips. Bottom line: NRS, Aire or Hyside IK's will get you on the water for years to come and will survive all you can put them through.

"If you boat with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'."
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #13
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
[QUOTE=hojo;246032]I'm going to have to go ahead and agree as it looks like Sevylor doesn't make the RiverX k-1 or k-2 anymore. They have a similar one but I can't speak to it's performance.

Having said that, the RiverX was designed for whitewater and I have had good results over the 6 years I've owned mine."

It looks like Coleman has ruined another good thing. I have the XK1 and XK2 and have used them both combined for approximately 100 river days a year for 3 years. They are fun boats! Yes, they are somewhat fragile but I have never had more than pinholes. I did have to rename one "Bubbles", but they have never failed to get us down river or ruined a day. Tomorrow they will go through Shoshone. Anything more than class III and they don't drain fast enough.

If I had to replace them, I would hold out for another $500 or less option.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #14
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
man stay away from those nrs mavericks. they're light, for sure. like a freakin beach ball. i've demo'd one and they feel like cheap pieces of crap. and they're super squirrly in any real whitewater. horrible compared to my trib tomcat, and the tomcat's like $200 cheaper. i love my tomcat. it's the best duckie out there for under $1000. (they're going new for like $600)
But if you have the money to throw at it, get a hyside paddilac. they just intro'd a new model too; haven't tried one yet, but they look weird.
the paddilac is where it's at. i can stand up and surf my double on class 2's no problem. they're super stable, responsive and burly as all hell. best 2grand i ever spent

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #15
Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Take a look at zoik!
unusualpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
I have two AIRE Lynx II. I have been very pleased with them. They are very durable, and they are easy to patch if you ever need to. But if I were buying today I would probably save a little money and get the Tributary Tomcat.

One thing to consider is the seat design. Some people prefer the thwart design because they are more rigid. I personally prefer the AIRE seat so I am not sitting right on the floor. AIRE also sells a more sturdy seat if you want a firmer backrest.

If you want to see some in action on a small river, check out one of my videos from the Muddy Creek in the San Rafael Swell. It contains Lynx II, a couple of different NRS models, and some old Rikens (former rental boats).

Also consider your paddle size. Standard kayak paddles are too short. Many IK package deals include paddles that I think are too long. I like a 230 cm paddle.

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote