Old 07-31-2009   #21
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
i never paddled a pack cat it does look kinda cool...ill have to try one
They cost more than your target. But they show up occasionally in the BUZZ classified ads for $600 or thereabouts.

What sold me initially was the comfort and adjustability of the seating. I had a touchy back from skiing and mountaineering with huge packs, and too much fun with horses. At that point I couldn't sit in a canoe or a rowing seat for more than an hour without pain. But I ran Deso: 7 days in a Pack Cat. My back actually improved on the trip.

This is a lightweight gear floor for multi-day trips:

Here are single and double Pack Cats on the Escalante (UT):

8 days, 7 camps. No cooler and we didn't take beer, but otherwise pretty posh.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #22
Southeast, On the river...
I have a Saturn inflatable (1100-denier whitewater raft quality) for fishing and it is fantastic in every way to me...

Saturn Inflatable River Kayaks & Rafts. Lowest Prices in USA!

Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #23
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Guess it depends on how you will use it,the ' Guide to Inflatable Kayaks' link picked that Sea Eagle 380x as the best overall ducky.I was always skeptical of SeaEagles too,but like the plug for flat water idea[ don't Sevylor's River x two man's have that ].Apparently they're pretty tough.The cheapo model that looks like a Sevylor Tahiti is unreinforced PVC ,if I'm not mistaken.The better Sea Eagles would probably be fine for non technical III - IV and better than most duckies on flat water.They are long,wide,with semi big tubes ,for a duck,so not so good for creekier stuff or play.Don't like that they don't have thigh straps or footbraces or the placement of the drain holes. You may be able to add the straps & braces.

SOAR's are quality boats but big and more canoe like,sounds like you have a specific plan in mind.One negative, if a baffle blows after your warranty expires they are a huge pain to fix.Both master raft repair guys I know detest working on them.They may have improved the design.
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard that about the repair issues. I'm going to grill the factory about this.

My plan with the SOAR's is to build a very versatile system that can handle long river trips with a ton of gear but break down into two individual boats for hitting small lakes. We like to hunt and fish but we are not always on rivers. I love to walleye fish up north the SOARS are perfect for a trolling motor and a 5 to 8 HP motor for the bigger lakes. I've got a great idea for a small live well in a drybox. I also love the idea of the sail mount for lakes.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #24
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
hey those cats are cool...but what rivers are you looking to hit and at what seems to me that they need a larger river with higher low flows...for me id stick with the smallest duckie there is(especialy being on the pudre)...anyway you probably know where your going and what to expect so use your own judgement...opinons dont mean nothing...just make sure it floats
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #25
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I bought a sea eagle 380X. I saw the good review at the 'Guide to inflatable kayaks' link. I was looking for a versitile boat, and it was a good fit. I wanted something to use for fishing, camping and running rivers. The skeg makes it track straght on a lake but can be removed. You can order thigh straps and a bow float chamber that you can use for a foot brace. Besides they had a payment plan and I wanted a boat ASAP! The boat has not had any problems yet.... But it is only the second season. I have used it in class I-IV. It is stable, but slow. Not good in technical rapids where alot of manuvering is needed. The problem is the accessories that come with it are crap. The "Pro" seats are single stitched together where the seat attaches to the back and ripped apart the second time I used it. The D rings were made from some cheap diecast stuff and the first one broke the first time out. They of course hold the seat upright and luckily I had some P-cord for what I thought would be a temporary fix. Four total have broken. The solvent to remove the D ring patches dissolves the PVC as fast as it dissolves the the glue. So they are fixed with p-cord for the forseeable future and as long as that works it is better than a big melted hole in the tube. And the snazzy bow and stern bags are equipped with plastic D rings to lash them down and they have also started falling apart. It does float, and it will get you down the river. But there are better boats out there for the Gnar duckiest.
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #26
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
hey those cats are cool...but what rivers are you looking to hit and at what seems to me that they need a larger river with higher low flows...for me id stick with the smallest duckie there is(especialy being on the pudre)...anyway you probably know where your going and what to expect so use your own judgement...opinons dont mean nothing...just make sure it floats
The Pack Cats and Fat Cats are great for low water runs and only slightly wider than most duckies.

My Fat Cat with the 16" tubes can carry 500lbs. (legit capacity not advertising bs) so with just me it draws almost nothing. On top of that if you run up on a gravel bar or sand bar you just put your feet down and walk the boat out to deeper water. Very nice for late or early season runs when there is not really enough water, but you just have to get out there.

They are also great in the early season since you are not sitting down in a bunch of water. Even the self bailing duckies I have been in seemed pretty wet (maybe it is my 225lbs that is the issue) most of the time. With the cat design you get splashed up between the tubes a bunch, but you are never sitting in water.

The Jack's Plastic paddle cats are probably not the best bet if you are looking for kayak like performance and would not be too great for creeking, but they are a great option pretty much everything else. With a capacity higher than most tandem duckies on the market they rock for self support and being made of the same material used in Jack's big oar frame cats they are way durable.

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #27
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I bought a Zoik two person off the banned ad here on the buzz. It looks good and I liked the price $699. One thing that pissed me off was a pin hole in one of the side tubes and the floor might have a slow leak too. This was right out of the box. They do have a 5 year warrantee but I put a patch on it rather than ship it back.
beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #28
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Consider a packraft... fun, light and versatile

Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I am in the market for an inflatable

Consider a packraft:

They can run steep creeks and big rivers and fit in an overhead bin:

Here's a video on the Grand Canyon:

cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #29
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Sea Eagles

Best pound for pound. and it has an advantage over those hard shells I can get my camping gear in it.

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaking, zoik