Old 07-25-2009   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Guess it depends on how you will use it,the ' Guide to Inflatable Kayaks' link picked that Sea Eagle 380x as the best overall ducky.I was always skeptical of SeaEagles too,but like the plug for flat water idea[ don't Sevylor's River x two man's have that ].Apparently they're pretty tough.The cheapo model that looks like a Sevylor Tahiti is unreinforced PVC ,if I'm not mistaken.The better Sea Eagles would probably be fine for non technical III - IV and better than most duckies on flat water.They are long,wide,with semi big tubes ,for a duck,so not so good for creekier stuff or play.Don't like that they don't have thigh straps or footbraces or the placement of the drain holes. You may be able to add the straps & braces.

SOAR's are quality boats but big and more canoe like,sounds like you have a specific plan in mind.One negative, if a baffle blows after your warranty expires they are a huge pain to fix.Both master raft repair guys I know detest working on them.They may have improved the design.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #12
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I bought a Zoik inflatable a few months ago, and can not say a single bad thing about it. Very stable, light, and manuverable. I ran Numbers the other day and it performed great, no flips. I bought it from an adventure racing team that uses them once or twice, and sells them for about half off. Here is the web site, Also check out I hope this helps.

thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #13
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Take a look at a Jack's Pack Cat: .

I've been paddling them for about 20 years, everything from steep creeks to remote expedition-style floats to the Grand Canyon.

Compared to the average duckie: not quite as maneuverable, much more stable, greater load capacity and rigging options, no swamping & draining in big water, incredibly comfortable and adjustable seating, weight comparable or lighter, breaks down into four pieces (2 tubes, seat and foot frames) for easy packing. I've carried one in a duffel to New Zealand and Alaska (with a 4-piece breakdown paddle).

Here a Grand Canyon pic:

This is a Fat Pack Cat, 16-inch tubes. If you get a Jack's Cutthroat and a Fat Pack Cat frame, you'll have the choice of paddling or rowing with the same set of tubes. I build my own rowing frames. Check out the 'More Games with Frames' thread.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #14
chicago, Illinois
I have a sevylor tahiti $120 from amazon, no frame, pretty light, more like a raft than a kayak, very stable in wave, but much less efficient than the real kayak in flat water.
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #15
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
go cheap

i got one duckie which has been used and abused for years...its got a foam was made by someone in a garage or something and it has been awesome...when looking for a duckie, look for two things...does it float...and do i have the "skill" to make what ever piece of shit im paddling look good...i hear people talk about manuverability when it comes to duckies...that is kinda stupid... ive been in tons of duckies and all of them were advice would be to get the best one you can easily afford...dont break the bank...there is still a paddle,pfd,and helmet to buy...just make sure it holds your weight forward of center so it will naturally float you facing down hill
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #16
Ft Fun, Colorado
i never paddled a pack cat it does look kinda cool...ill have to try one
Old 07-29-2009   #17
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I decided to do some word association around the word "ducky".

Ducky - Moped - Man Purse - Male Makeup - Assume the position - Taking it in the ass and liking it - not drinking a booty beer.

Moral of the story: Duckies are for softcore morons. Also, drink your booty beers.

P.S. I can't wait until Yeti gets involved in this one.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #18
I have is an AIRE Lynx 1, green (we call it the pickle), with a nice paddle and a repair kit. It 's probably 5 years old, has only been used a handful of times, and is stored indoors. I'd like $550 OBO.
tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #19
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I got two AIRE Tomcat solos for me and my wife this year. Fun, stable, great for beginners. My wife not been a kayak fan in the past and loves them. Easy to run class III, I'm sure you can run IV if you have the ability. They work great for light overnights, but looking back I like the looks of the Fat Cat.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #20
Ft Fun, Colorado
id be looking to contact tea...that sounds like a fair deal and you will still have money for a paddle,helmet,small drybag,and pfd...i don't know if it would cover dry tops and stuff cause i dont know what you have or where and when you like to go...keep looking not all gear that is for sale is in want ads
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I am in the market for an inflatable kayak. I am not overly experienced but have been out a few times. I would like something durable and versatile that will not cost more than $1000. I have been looking at a Sea Eagle Explorer 380x as it has convertible drains so it can be used for whitewater or other. Any assistance on quality of this kayak or any other suggestions on good products would be greatly appreciated.

kayaking, zoik