Old 01-16-2012   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
(triple A) AAA Inflatables in Denver used to be the BOMB on perfect glueing of anything and everything. I'd call them.

Riverwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #12
My Truck, United States
Paddling Since: 2010

The K1 does have an inflatable floor, and i have wondered the same thing about the weight capacity, it seems to run water a little better with 2 small people (300 pounds).

I've been pondering the idea of making a hypalon cover for the front and back of the boat where water pours over in big waves and momentarily swamps the boat before the self bailers can catch up. Problem is that hypalon is about 26 dollars a foot and i need about 8 feet. Now i'm searching for a less expensive material that would provide a similar function as hypalon but maybe isn't so waterproof or whatever.

That's too bad about the safari, it looks like a fun boat but does look small. What other boats do you paddle?

dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #13
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Just a thought, nrs has some info on duckies. No glue needed.

NRS Inflatable Kayak Thigh Straps at
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I would try using float bags,closed cell foam blocks,dry bags full of air or buoyant gear ,or some combination thereof for displacement rather than making a fabric apron. You are just taking up space so less water gets in in the first place.You will have to secure them some how,yeah probably adding d -rings again unless there are tie downs built in in the right spots. Make sure there are no entanglement issues. What are those black rectangles on the side? Those thigh braces might work if you can secure them in the right spot to be effective.I hope the ones built in are way better than the old ones and you don't need the NRS's anyway. If your boat has the strip of solid fabric apx. 4" wide between the floor and tubes and the holes are still dime sized you can enlarge the holes to nickel or quarter size and add a couple,it could be risky be careful. Hopefullly, they improved that too.

The floor thing must be a mistake in their marketing,with that amount of volume it should be like 400 lbs..I can see the valve in the picture so dumb question anyway. I have older models of Aire Force and Lynx, and an old Necky creek boat.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #15
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Randaddy ,you ever use the slide track side pegs Aire sells ?They are awesome IMO.I like the kind in the Force too,better than any kayak bulkhead for shock absorption.Any kind that tie in tend to be a pain in the ass to adjust and keep even .
I've never used the Aire sliding foot pegs, but I installed some NRS pegs in a Hyside and found them to be nice, thought they made tight rolls of the kayak impossible, due to the long track. The float bags on the Force are the most innovative and important change in the IK since the self bailing floor, in my opinion. I've often fantasized about covering float bags with grommetted hypalon sheets at the bow and stern of larger IKs.They let the boat rise fast, drain fast, and actually perform more like a kayak. The boat would have several small D rings on either side of the bow and stern in order for the hypalon to "lace in" like a floor or thwart. I think this was what someone was getting at above. Anyway, the shock absorption, the floating swimmer platform, the balance with solid knee straps and you can really run some shit in this kind of IK.

I had the 2009 Force and loved it, but I always thought it was a little small, hence the notion above. The 2012 Force has bigger tubes, more kick, and the float bags move to shrink or enlarge the cockpit. This is the IK to buy if you aren't hauling any gear. I hear Aire has added cam knee straps too, which should resolve the constantly breaking buckles. I guess we'll see. My new purple Force will be ready April 1. I hope there's water nearby!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Yeah the Aire slide tracks have that problem too,you can't roll the boat up as small. They are removable for travel. How do the NRS' attach to the boat ? The Aires puncture the shell,but it doesn't matter because the bladder holds the air. In a Highside or NRS there is no innertube,is there?

I' d like to demo the newer Force you have.I have the original XL , it has a little smaller tubes a lot less kick ,i think it is narrower too but the new one is shorter [9' 7" VS 10' 3" ? ]. They made it more forgiving. You'll definitely swim more than a Lynx,but you can boof and play better and some can roll it. They made an' expedition ' model without the rear flotation,it has a seat and you fill the space with your dry bag.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote