Old 05-15-2009   #21
Seattle, Washington
This actually isn't that new of an idea. It is a bad one though, for all the pin and scary injury potential.

Lee at the has a similar boat for sale used .. and it's been for sale for years.

From the used boat page Used Whitewater Boats And Accessories

Metzeler Spezi [Photo - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5] fully decked TRUE inflatable kayak, looks like a hardshell, fibreglass cockpit & rim, for experts with a bombproof roll only - a very dangerous river boat in the wrong hands. This will make a good ocean boat if you don't mind the tracking being mediocre since the hull speed is incredibly high. In fact, this 13 footer is faster than any inflatable on the market today, even an Innova Sunny. An Innova tracking fin kit can be added easily to improve the tracking. Nice condition, some touch ups with Aquaseal over a few dings, and one tiny 1.5" patch over another ding, and extremely rare. About 36 pounds, would be way over $2000 if it were made today.
Note: this poor Spezi incurred some serious damage over the Winter because we tried to put a bit too much air pressure in it with a Wonder Pump. Specifically, an internal seam between the right tube and the inflatable floor gave way over nearly a two foot section. The repair would involve making a large incision in the right tube near the cocokpit, so this is not a job for a rookie. If you are interested and think you're up for the job, make us an offer. The last posted price we had here (before we screwed up the boat) was $625. At this point anything over $175 will be considered.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #22
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I would carry a dog on the deck instead of that kid jumping up and down so if I got pinned bowser could pull us out.

wreckoftheairefitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #23
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I'm not going to run out and buy one, but you might take a look at this before you completely dismiss the concept:

Whitewater Inflatable Kayak K30X Incept Marine Ogden Utah

Click on the "watch Sally in action". I can't run that kind of water but he looks pretty confident in the boat.

I demo'd the Sally a year ago and thought it had merit, though it's a specialized tool and would probably be for someone who already had 3 boats. Sure is a lot easier hiking into someplace remote with it than a hardshell. Seemed like it could also be a lot more forgiving when you pitoned on a big drop. Also seemed like most of your pin situations could be quickly fixed with a prick of the knife, though the cockpit on the Sally was huge - not much pin potential that I could see. I was just too uncomfortable sitting in it for any length of time.

Once again, I'm not buying one but I didn't think the boat was garbage either.

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote