Old 08-17-2011   #51
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
ah, the tread that keeps givin' an givin'

took a trip recently in 95deg weather. one 95qt cooler had 3 big homemade blocks about 3" thick sitting side by side in the bottom of the cooler. the other 90qt cooler had 1 huge block (but probably about the same weight as the 3) sitting in the wash basin the whole time. 95qt cooler was drained daily, 90 qt cooler was not drained. No suprises here, the big block in the 90qt melted faster than the 3 blocks in the 95qt. both coolers were ah, of the expensive variety but different brands. Ya, totaly unscientific, undocumented drivel. and no, i don't use pins and clips either.
fwiw, here's a link to a slick low cost diy cooler that probably blows doors on any other cooler. Utah River Goods thanks larry.

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #52
Jenks, Oklahoma
Man, that looks like the real deal home made cooler.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #53
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Our ultimate ice management challenge was our 3-week Grand Canyon trip. On our 5 rafts, we had 3 Yeti 120s, 1 Icey Tek 125, an old Rubbermaid 102, and a Gott 80. Most of us were able to freeze our ice directly in the coolers. Some rented space in a walk-in freezer, others were able to do it in chest freezers at home.

A word of caution about freezing ice directly in your cooler: Do it in layers, just a couple of gallons at a time. If you try to freeze it all at once, you risk splitting your cooler. It took me a couple of weeks to fill my Icey Tek about 2/3 full, and I had to use a cable hoist to lift it out of my freezer. As a matter of form, all of our coolers are always double-strapped to keep them tightly closed.

We had a 3-day drive to the river, so we all put dry ice in the coolers to keep the wet ice frozen. We did our shopping in Cedar City UT the night before going to the launch site, and at that point removed the dry ice from all of the coolers except one.

We organized our food so that we'd have only one cooler "active" at a time. The others remained sealed and covered. We used transparent duct tape, which seems to leave less residue than the regular gray tape. It was easy to guess that the smaller coolers would melt-out fastest, so we packed in them the food for the first five or six days of the trip. After the last meal was removed from a cooler, any leftover food and ice was transferred into the next cooler.

This part will raise some dispute. Once a day, we would open the drains and let the melt water out. We did this early in the morning, before sunrise, so that the air drawn in to replace the melt water would be as cool as possible. Some people insist that the water helps preserve the ice, but I don't agree. Water is far more conductive than air (You can test this yourself by standing naked in a 40 degree walk-in cooler vs. sitting in a tub of 40 degree water.) In any event, the melt water is contaminated, and you don't want it in contact with food. This also gives you a pretty good idea how well your ice is holding up, without the need to open the cooler and look.

We are very organized with our food lists. For each meal, we have a "pull list" that identifies every item needed. One person reads it out while another pulls the things out of the cooler. This minimizes the time that the cooler is open. If you find yourself going back to the cooler two, three, or four times for one meal, you're wasting a lot of ice.

In one of the Yetis (which was 2/3 full of solid ice), we packed all of the meat (pre-frozen) for the second half of the trip. We added dry ice purchased the day before launch, so the actual "burn time" on that cooler didn't start until we were four or five days into the trip.

We also used white-painted rocket boxes (definitely NOT ones ever associated with groover functions) as evaporative coolers for eggs and some durable vegetables. These were stored in the bottom of my stern frame, with a white towel strapped over the top and kept damp throughout the trip. Evaporation of the water from the towel (not to mention the 60 degree water in the river) kept the contents of the boxes moderately cool and well protected.

I went to a thrift store before the trip and bought a stack of white bath towels (some of which had hotel monograms on them). We put two layers of towel on top of each cooler, and kept them damp throughout the trip. To keep them damp overnight, we placed a canvas bucket full of water on top of each cooler. The seepage from the canvas bucket provided just enough water to keep the towels damp overnight.

Our ice lasted so well that we were able to designate one cooler for beverages after the food from it was used. We'd pre-cool the drinks in the river overnight, then put our day's ration into the cooler first thing in every morning. There is no luxury like having an ice-cold beer with dinner on the last day of your Grand Canyon trip!

There was still a sliver of ice in my Icey Tek cooler when I got home, and lurking down underneath the leftover cucumbers, salad dressing and butter, I found a lone can of Tekate: A toast to the Icey Tek.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #54
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Did i read that right??? Tecate?? What? You brought Mexican cow urine on the grand? Your story just lost all credibilty!!
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #55
Oregon City, Oregon
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Did i read that right??? Tecate?? What? You brought Mexican cow urine on the grand? Your story just lost all credibilty!!
No, actually my brother brought the Tecate. He just made the mistake of leaving a can in MY cooler.
Old 08-18-2011   #56
north little rock, Arkansas
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Man, that looks like the real deal home made cooler.
Yep. I'd like to spend an afternoon with Mr. Hedrick. I imagine it would be quite enlightening and entertaining.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #57
Jenks, Oklahoma
@The Mogur,

finding a cold beer that you did not buy in your cooler as you clean the cooler up is one heck of a nice find! The fact that you got to drink your Bro's beer made it even better!!! good story.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #58
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
OK this is a bit off-topic, but I don't really get all of the intense coordination people use on the grand. I'm doing a trip next March, and we're just going to split into food groups with each group planning, buying, transporting, and cooking their assigned meals. Sure, we'll have coolers open the entire time and end up with more non-cooler meals as the trip goes along (23 days) as we'll likely run out of ice earlier, but I find this to be more desirable than repacking all coolers for day by day usage. We're coming from multiple locations, and rowing our own boats, so people are used to having and managing their own cooler and contents and dry food themselves. This also avoids having to assign to one or two people being the "shoppers", I wouldn't want that job for the entire trip, and so each group on their own seems to me to be less hassle. I realize how nice it would be to have the coolers packed day by day which is easy if you have it outfitted or the food is coordinated by just a couple of people, but you'd still have to sucker a couple of people into being the shoppers or boat map keepers. What am I missing?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #59
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Laura - You're not missing much. I always suggest the same thing to my GC group (and then let the TL/group decide what to do).

Whatever number of boats you have, split the days of food accordingly. People with their boats will decide for themselves what will be cooler meals and what will not. They know their boats and so how best to carry the food. They know their coolers and so how best to pack the food & ice for the right ratio. They make their own decision as to the ease or complexity of the food prep, whether they want to do the vac seal bags at home or all the prep at camp.

Works well every time.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #60
Oregon City, Oregon
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
This also avoids having to assign to one or two people being the "shoppers", I wouldn't want that job for the entire trip. What am I missing?
The coordination is done by the computer program that generates our shopping lists (which is a whole story in itself). Everybody shops. We all go to the grocery store together and get it all done in about 90 minutes, start to finish. The food for cooler no. 1 is on shopping list no. 1, and it ends up in shopping cart no. 1. In the parking lot, food from cart no. 1 goes directly into cooler no. 1. It's all very quick and easy. And nobody gets stuck doing all the work.

We have complete confidence that we can have fresh food throughout the trip. No canned beef stew for us. We treat ourselves pretty well on our raft trips, eating better than we do at home, and in fact better than the guests do on most commercial river trips.