Old 03-11-2010   #1
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Idaho Guidebook

So what is "the bible" for idaho rivers? I've heard of a couple but can't remember the author or name of the book....and where can I order it?

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Heard good things about this one, and trying to locate a copy (they are listed on amazon but I like instant gratification and have been looking locally). Interested as well for others as I wanna extend my middle fork trip this summer around that area......

Grant Amaral's "Idaho the Whitewater State"

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #3
Idaho: the Whitewater State by Grant Amaral
Watershed Books, PO Box 111 Garden Valley Idaho 83622
ISBN 0-9622344-0-0
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #4
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Thaaat's the one I've heard of....couldn't remember the dude's name. Isn't he the guy that kinda runs as well??? I'm a new member on that site but I couldn't even find info on the book over there.

Thanks guys.....
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #5
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Thats the only one...out of print, bought mine 10 years ago. Its pretty chintz compared to Colorado's bibles....but it gets you to the river.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #6
Here's the newest one.

The Idaho Paddler - Whitewater Gems by Sean Glaccum - New Idaho River Guide Book

It has a DVD element too.....

There's a couple of river specific gems in there too (ie Middle Fork guide).....
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #7
most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
Idaho Whitewater by Greg Moore and Don McClaran

Checked mine, dated 1989, Amaral's is around the same time and both I think have been out of print for years.
Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #8
Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Grant Amaral's book is the most complete one, with a lot of runs. Although it was printed in 1990 it is fairly in depth to a degree. Some might argue that a guide book written in the 90's is out of date, and the difficulty rating's of the run's are off. I've found that it still holds true on the big water runs, the author's backyard run is the North Fork Payette, which is Idaho's standard of class V. Were as the CCRC book's standard for class V is something like Gore, give or take.

The new book- The Idaho Paddler Whitewater gem's by Sean Glaccum was printed in 2009. The book highlights most of the standard classic's with a down rated scale of difficulty compared to the other book on some run's, they give one rating for the whole section, and don't factor in flow's, which is fairly important in Idaho with all the big water run's. The book also has beta on a few new creek's, and park and hucks that have been discovered with our modern day short boat's. It's a great book with full color pics, kinda like White Water of the Southern Rockies, but much slimer, but they did miss a few classic's like Meadow creek and Lolo creek. In general the descripts are not in depth, to give you the discover it for your self kind of feel.

It's nice to have both, but Amaral's isn't easily available. So if you use the new one cross check the ratings on American Whitewater as they relate to flows.

Happy boating!

progers is offline   Reply With Quote