Old 03-06-2009   #11
Roxborough, Colorado
I am 5'9" 167lbs and paddle the Chico Jefe and it is a bit too small for me. If I have any gear with me, which is just about all the time, it seems like I would benefit for some extra float or by having the regular Jefe.

My roll is 100% and I agree with JMACK, if you can roll one, you can roll any boat, but the Jefe seems to be an exception. I can roll it but it is a slow roll. Good luck and have fun with the Jefe.

Powderpinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #12
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by LiquidGuy87 View Post
I'm 5' 10' 180 and love the Grande. I've paddled both... and the Grande does a much better job resurfacing, staying on top on tough lines and boofs really easily.

I would say that the one downside of being light in the Grande is that it doesn't track as well because the bow and stern are virtually out of the water while all my weight is distributed on the rocker. But that's what stern draws and sweep strokes are for.
I fully agree, that is why I paddle the grande, but it mostly comes down to personal preferance. Grande or not, the Jefe kicks ass.

fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
5'10 175 is probably a good fit for the regular Jefe. I'm 5'11, 155# in street clothes and really like the fit. I also feel like I can throw gear in the back and still float just fine. I suspect you could go Grande too though and be happy, kind of depends on personal preference.

I do think the Jefe is hard to roll, but I wouldn't let that stop you - just improve your roll. I think most creekboats are really easy to roll in comparison - I can hand roll most creekboats without even trying very hard. With the Jefe I will sometimes flail a time or 2 hand rolling before coming up. I think it's mostly a consequence of the higher seat position, however there are other advantages to the higher seat position.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i like how the jefe performs loaded it. i think it actually performs more how it was designed to. unloaded still no problem but you should never be totally unloaded in a creek run because you should always carry your needed supplies. 510 165 in street cloths about 175 wet and boating. i say go with the jefe.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #15
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
I am about your size and paddle a Jefe. I am 6'1", 170 and the regular Jefe fits me perfectly.

If the Grande is similar, that might explain how some small people paddle such a big boat.

In terms of rolling, it is kinda hard to roll.
Yep, I'm not very big - 5'7", 130 lbs. and I paddle a Jefe very comfortably. Extremely nice for situations when you want to stay on top of the water...However, I have also found that in these same situations it can be a little hard to roll - emphasis on "little".

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote