Old 04-13-2011   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i could use some tips on installing a rub strake

i've never tackled doing a rub strake and could use some tips/strategies for getting the job done. i've got an older 14ft avon that needs a little tlc before the season gets going this year. i'm not worried about removing the old one. it's mainly about attaching the new one without making a mess of it. i've have some ideas but haven't been able dig up any good/solid instruction online,ect. so would like to hear better ways to do it. even if you have some good links or whatever. anything would help.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I went thru this on an old hyside. If the materials are the same as hyside, its kind of a pain, as the rub strip was PVC, and the boat was hypalon. AAA told me that you had to stack different glues (hypalon glue on hypalon side, pvc glue on pvc side, then pvc glue between the two for final glue up) I ended up not replacing the strip as I sold the boat, but if I was going to replace it, AAA has some all rubber rubstrips for about $0.50 a foot, that you could apply like a patch. I'd go this route because the replacement PVC stuff is like $6 a foot and as we know, cracks like crazy in the sun.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have not done this yet but did talk to Hyside about this since I have a mini-me with the urethane coated PVC rub strake on the hypalon that needs a patch. They said you should just use two part Stabond no need for the stacking of glues as Whoapiglet mentioned. Stabond is designed to adhere PVC to rubber (hypalon). Of course this is if you are putting on a PVC rub strake on to the Avon hypalon. Good luck...

This is the stuff:

Stabond™ Adhesive
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
thanks for the help piglet and calendar. i ordered a bunch of that rubber type rub strake from aaa and got the poop on installing it from judi. great deal and exactly what i was looking for. thanks again.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote