Old 09-17-2010   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
hyside tandem IK and Jack's fat pack cat

I'm wondering if one of these would perform noticeably better in class III/IV as far as maneuverability and resistance to flipping and/or getting tossed out. I have the Hyside and have added thigh straps, so i feel very attached to the boat. I am also happy with it's performance, but I paddle it with another paddler, and having that other paddler really helps when the rocks are coming up fast. What I'm thinking of is potentially paddling single on multi-day trips with some raft support but trying to haul most of my own personal gear. I'm thinking that, paddling by myself, getting the boat where I want will be significantly tougher. So, any reason in this context -- other than boat addiction and coolness -- to add the fat cat to the quiver?
Again: Would one of these perform noticeably better as far as maneuverability and resistance to flipping and/or getting tossed out, and maybe accelaration once I get it pointed away from that rock?
Many thanks!
Edit: fat cat tubes are 16" Hyside 13" -- fat is 44" wide Hyside is 40"

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
While I'm at it, here's a related question. One can get the Fat Pack Cat frame on the Cutthrout tubes in case one ever wants to get the cutthroat rowing frame. The main structural difference between between the standard fat cat tubes and the cut tubes is that the cut tubes have kick in the stern as well as the bow. How might the stern kick tubes affect the performance as a paddle cat? Shorter water line -- maybe turn faster? Maybe surf better? Any downside? Is Chip around? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2010   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have never personally paddled either boat, but have seen both in action plenty of times. Both are capable of carnage in class III/IV, but I've seen more flips by Pack Cats. They sit up higher than an IK with a higher center of gravity, and they seem more susceptible to being pushed around by wind. Lots of folks use tandem (or single) IKs for multi-day trips, but a Pack Cat may give you a bit more gear space. If it were me.... I'd get an Aire Lynx or Tomcat IK instead of a Hyside or Pack Cat. Just my two cents.
From your post, it sounds like you have concerns about handling class III/IV on your own as a solo paddler. I'd suggest doing some runs down Alpine Canyon in your Hyside with some other boaters as back-up to see how it feels before making a decision.
As I'm sure others on this forum will tell you ..... it's partly the performance of the boat, and partly the performance of the driver that gets you safely down the river. I'd get comfortable with class III solo before I bought a new boat.
Have fun & Stay safe
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks for your thoughts, c'girl.
Yes, I did notice that the JPW pack cat seat was near the top of the tubes and wondered about that. I wish there were "demo days" around here.

I'm comfortable in the Snake River Canyon above Alpine in my Lynx (single) -- have made at least 20 trips -- no swims. I have also done that stretch a few times paddling the tandem Hyside single -- but the Hyside was not loaded and I know the river features, so I don't get surprised and have to make a quick move to, for example, avoid a rock. So I guess I do have at least some concern with potentially running unfamiliar rivers single in the loaded Hyside. So, I was wondering if a fat pack cat might have some benefits in that regard. From what you are saying, c'girl, the fat pack cat may not offer much benefit beyond gear capacity compared to just using the Hyside (and may have a downside re "flipability"). Curious to see if any others share c'girls observations of more pack cat flips than IK flips.
(GF and I just did Ladore/Split Mtn. in Hyside w/raft support -- no swim -- she was able to help accelerate cross current when needed. BTW, we got the Hyside specifically because my GF had some experience/comfort in that boat from guided trips -- I got the Lynx for my own day tripping and love it.)
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Old 09-18-2010   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
If you have a Lynx single & a Hyside double, then you already have two really nice IKs. I have a friend who takes her Lynx double solo with gear on multi-days trips. She moves her paddling position more forward and loads gear behind her. She says this works pretty well. I still think your best next step is to load some gear in the Hyside and hit Alpine Canyon to see what you think about maneuverability and handling in class III water.
You asked about Cutthroat tubes with the Pack Cat frame. The Cutthroat is basically a small cataraft tube. With rocker on both ends of the tube, you'd get more maneuverability than the flat/straight Pac Cat tubes. You'd also have the choice of paddling it, or getting the Cutthroat rowing frame. I have always been a Catarafter and love it. I started on a 10 ft. fishing cat at Alpine Canyon, then went to a 14 X 19 JPW Flyer Cat, and now row a Maravia 14 X 24 cat which is a perfect boat for me.
Hopefully someone with Pack Cat experience will chime in here soon with their perspective.
Buying new boats is so much fun (and anxiety).
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010   #6
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
I've had the opportunity to run all three - I own a hyside tandem and a cutthroat, and my bro-in-law has the fat cat. I'll echo c-girl's comments on the fat cat - you sit high, and you have a short water line. When you run light, very easy to manuever but also very easy to get sideways. For a self-supported trip, my money's on the cutthroat - lots of storage capacity, long water line, stable, tracks well, you can row or paddle (I prefer rowing), and like c-girl, I'm a cataraft person at heart. If you're more comfortable paddling, stick with your hyside - much more stable than the fat cat - my opinion.
jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010   #7
Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks for your thoughts, jamwin33.
Not that it would change your overall impression that the hyside is more stable than the fat cat, but just to clarify, the spec chart at JPW shows a longer waterline for the fat pack cat (8') than for the cutthroat (6.8') -- I assume that is due to the stern kick on the CT tubes.
Old 09-20-2010   #8
Jackson, Wyoming
And, yes, cata'girl, smart move would be to load up the tandem Hyside for a trial run! Maybe this weekend.
At the moment I'm leaning away from the fat pack cat because of the higher center of gravity and because I'm not anticipating totally self-supported trips -- so the greater gear capacity of the fat cat is not critical. At the monment I also don't foresee rowing, so getting the fat pack cat frame with cutthroat tubes (to allow attachment of the rowing frame at a later date) is also not critical. However if there is a fun factor increase for the fat pack cat, that could outweigh the other factors! I still would like to hear from others if posible about the comparison. I do really like my Lynx, so a Lynx II might be more fun loaded and paddled solo than the tandem Hyside -- hey, I'm just fanta-shopping out loud.
Old 09-20-2010   #9
San Juan Islands, Washington
I have a Lynx II that I paddle solo and use for overnight trips, I put an extra set of straps and buckles so I could move the seat forward and built a foam footrest for my feet. There's room in front for a 4" Paco pad, and room behind the seat for a large gearbag and a small drybag behind that, more than ernough room for gear for a night or two. I also have a Sotar IK(and a self bailer) so the Lynx rarely gets used, I think i would get more use out of small cat but the Lynx is nice because it's so easy to transport and will haul a ton of gear.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #10
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
A buddy and I took tomcat solos for a 5 days self support trip and capacity was no problem. You have to be willing to swim in class IV, but it works.
I saw a gigbob on the MFS this fall and he was doing OK. thee were also numerous other small fishing cats running everything.
My quiver:
2 hard kayaks (play and creek)
One IK
One 14' cat
one 14' round raft

I rarely take out the round raft. The IK is largely loaned out.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote